chapter 19 (first Steps in the World of Law)

MERCEDES's POV

Mercedes happily informed Zekiel of her first-day office experience

"I just had to tell you about my first day at the office, Zekiel! It was a whirlwind, honestly," I happily shared.

"New jobs can be a lot to take in, but it's part of the learning curve. How was it?" Zekiel asked.

"It went well, and I'm excited about the work ahead. The orientation covered everything from the firm's mission to the specific projects we'll be working on," I explained.

"That's awesome. Understanding the company culture and your role is crucial. I'm sure you'll catch on quickly," Zekiel assured.

"Thanks for your support, Zekiel. It's a bit overwhelming, but I'm determined to make a positive impact," I expressed.

"I believe in your abilities, Mercedes. The beginning is always the toughest part, but it gets easier as you settle into your role," Zekiel encouraged.

"Your guidance means a lot to me, Zekiel. I'm eager to learn and grow in this environment," I said.

"It's my pleasure, Mercedes. You're a valuable addition to the team, and I'm excited to see your contributions as you start this new journey with us," Zekiel said.

As I got used to my role at Zekiel's law firm, my thoughts were a mix of determination, enthusiasm, and a bit of nervousness. Knowing the firm's dedication to social justice and environmental causes, I understood the workload would be demanding. The cases were substantial, carrying the weight of making a positive impact.

Feeling a sense of responsibility, I was driven to give my best each day. Despite the challenging workload, I was excited by the thought of contributing to something larger than myself. I saw my work as an opportunity to be part of meaningful causes, motivating me to tackle each task with passion.

While the long hours and intense work presented challenges, I held onto the belief that my efforts, alongside my colleagues, would create positive change. This sense of purpose fueled me as I navigated the demands of my workload at Zekiel's law firm.

ZEKIEL's POV

As I watched Mercedes put her heart and soul into her work at the law firm, I couldn't help but admire her. Her intelligence, passion for social justice, and determination to make a positive impact were truly commendable. There was something about the way she approached her cases that drew me in – the fire in her eyes and the empathy in her heart.

However, I always kept my emotions in check because I knew Mercedes was happily in a relationship with Xavier. I respected their connection and didn't want to complicate things. I kept my feelings hidden, focusing on being a mentor and a friend.

Despite my efforts, there were moments when I wondered about what could have been under different circumstances. I admired Mercedes not just for her work but as a person, someone I felt a deep connection with on a personal level.

But I couldn't let those feelings interfere with our professional relationship or Mercedes' happiness with Xavier. So, I continued to support her in her career and personal life, hiding my own emotions beneath the surface. My hidden feelings were a mix of longing, admiration, and a sense of duty to respect the boundaries of our existing relationships.

As days passed...

Having Mercedes at my law firm brought me immense joy and pride. Her dedication and skills were undeniable, and I was delighted to have her on the team. She added a special spark to the workplace, and I admired her work ethic, commitment, and the positive energy she brought.