chapter 7 (conquering Japan, part1)

MERCEDES's POV

"Good day, and welcome to Tokyo! Today, you'll arrive in one of the world's busiest and most forward-thinking cities. After checking into your hostel, you'll meet up with your travel crew and get excited for the adventures to come," the staff of the tour agency said during the briefing.

"Wow, this accommodation is nice! We can eat and relax after to be ready for tomorrow's activities," I remarked.

"Yes, I feel excited!" Mercedes exclaimed.

"We will enjoy our tour," I told Cedes, hugging her.

"Of course!"

Zekiel and Mercedes were enjoying their dinner in Tokyo, savoring Japanese foods in a candlelit setting.

Zekiel: This place is amazing, don't you think?

Mercedes: Absolutely! The ambiance is so romantic with the candles.

Zekiel: Have you tried Japanese cuisine before?

Mercedes: Not much, but I'm excited to explore and taste everything.

Zekiel: Well, you're in for a treat. Let's start with sushi. Have you had sushi before?

Mercedes: Only a few times. It looks delicious, though.

Zekiel: You'll love it! And don't forget to try the ramen; it's a Japanese classic.

Mercedes: I can't wait to try everything. This is such a special dinner.

Zekiel: I'm glad you're enjoying it. Anything specific you want to try?

Mercedes: Surprise me! I trust your judgment.

Zekiel: Alright, let's make this a memorable Japanese feast!

On the second day, we explored Tokyo with a city tour and experienced its nightlife.

The tour guide explained, "Today is all about discovering what Tokyo has to offer. We'll visit one of the country's oldest temples, Senso-ji Temple, followed by the Meiji Shrine. We'll then explore the colorful and fashion-forward district of Harajuku before crossing the iconic Shibuya Crossing, the world's busiest intersection. Later in the evening, we'll visit one of the hilariously tiny bars in Shinjuku."

We followed our guide and first visited Senso-ji Temple, Tokyo's oldest and most significant temple. It was once associated with the Tendai sect of Buddhism but became independent after World War II. Dedicated to Kannon, the bodhisattva of compassion, it's the most widely visited religious site globally, with over 30 million visitors annually. The view was magnificent.

Next, we proceeded to the Meiji Shrine. The guide informed us, "The shrine was built to commemorate Emperor Meiji and Empress Shoken. Emperor Meiji, the first emperor of modern Japan, passed away in 1912, and his wife in 1914. The Japanese government officially started the construction of Meiji Jingu Shrine to commemorate their deified spirits."

Cedes commented, "Japan has a rich culture."

"Yeah, there are many preserved historical places," I replied.

We then went to Shibuya Crossing, famous for its incredible 'scramble' when the traffic lights turned red, allowing a massive wave of pedestrians to flood the intersection.

"This is amazing!" Cedes exclaimed.

"They don't bump into each other; a stampede is the least likely to happen, not like anywhere else," I explained.

After dinner, we explored the bars of Japan, enjoying the nightlife by dancing and having wine and whiskies at Shinjuku.