chapter 41 (journey to serenity)

ZEKIEL's POV

Zekiel: Mercedes, there's something important I want to talk to you about. I've been thinking a lot about how things have changed between us.

Mercedes: (Curious) What's on your mind, Zekiel?

Zekiel: You remember when we first met, right? I didn't pay much attention to your feelings back then. I want to apologize for not appreciating you enough.

Mercedes: (Nods) Yeah, I had a crush on you, but nothing came of it.

Zekiel: I regret not realizing it sooner, but now, I've come to understand my feelings better. I've fallen for you, Mercedes.

Mercedes: (Surprised) Zekiel, this is unexpected. I appreciate your honesty, but I have to be honest too. After I moved on from my feelings for you, I started dating Xavier, and we were in a relationship.

Zekiel: (Nods) I know about that. I didn't want to interfere, so I kept my feelings to myself. But now that things have changed, and Xavier is no longer in the picture, I wanted to talk to you about the possibility of us.

Mercedes: (Thoughtful) Zekiel, I appreciate your honesty, but I need some time for myself after Xavier. I'm not sure if I'm ready for a new relationship right away.

Zekiel: (Understanding) I get that, Mercedes. I don't want to rush you into anything. I just wanted you to know how I feel, and I'm here whenever you're ready to explore what could be between us.

Mercedes: (Smiles) Thanks, Zekiel. I'm glad we had this conversation, and I value our friendship. Let's see where life takes us.

Zekiel: (Grateful) I appreciate that, Mercedes. Whatever happens, I'm here for you, whether as a friend or something more.

As days passed, Mercedes became more comfortable with me.

Now, we are on a trekking adventure to Lake Holon in Tboli, South Cotabato. It's located in the ancestral domain of the T'boli and Ubo tribes, and the Department of Tourism has promoted the lake as a prime eco-tourism destination in Mindanao.

Lake Holon, also known as Lake Maughan, is a stunning natural beauty in South Cotabato, Philippines. It's considered one of the most beautiful and pristine lakes in the country, surrounded by lush forests in the Tboli municipality, part of the Mount Melibengoy and Mount Parker protected landscape. The lake is nestled within a volcanic crater, adding to its unique charm.

Zekiel: (Sitting by the campfire) Mercedes, this camping trip was a fantastic idea. The view of Lake Holon is breathtaking.

Mercedes: (Smiling) I'm glad you're enjoying it, Zekiel. The clear water and the serenity of this place make it all worthwhile.

Zekiel: (Stirring a pot of soup) And our campfire cooking skills are getting better. Who knew we'd become such outdoor chefs?

Mercedes: (Chuckling) Well, we've had some practice. Remember our first camping trip when we burned those marshmallows to a crisp?

Zekiel: (Laughs) How could I forget? We've come a long way since then.

Mercedes: (Gazing at the starry night) The starry sky here is just amazing. I could spend hours just looking at it.

Zekiel: (Nods) It's like a blanket of stars. And we have the best seat in the house.

Mercedes: (Sipping her hot chocolate) Moments like these, with good company and nature all around, they're what I cherish the most.

Zekiel: (Smiling) Me too, Mercedes. This camping escapade has been a perfect day, and I'm grateful to share it with you.