chapter 33 ( world cup fever)

ZEKIEL's POV

It's been a month since our dinner date, and I want to visit Mercedes again. As I think about her and how much I miss her, my thoughts are filled with longing and deep affection. I daydream about the possibility of seeing her again in Spain, and these thoughts are a mix of hope and nostalgia.

While pondering, I came across news about a football league happening in Spain. An idea pops into my mind.

With courage, I sent her a message on Viber and FB Messenger:

"Hello, Ced... have you heard the news? The Football World Cup will be held in Spain. If it fits your schedule, can I invite you?"

After a while, I see Cedes typing...

I eagerly await Mercedes' response, feeling a mix of hope, anticipation, and a touch of anxiety. I'm hopeful for a positive reply, envisioning a warm and enthusiastic acceptance. Yet, there's also a hint of nervousness, understanding that her response could go either way.

I try to stay positive, convinced that our previous connection was strong enough for Mercedes to accept my invitation. However, there's an element of apprehension, knowing she might have reservations.

My mind races with different scenarios, from an enthusiastic "yes" to a gentle "no." I play out these scenes in my mind as I anticipate Mercedes' reply. My emotions are in a state of flux, considering that her response will significantly impact my plans and our relationship.

After a while, I received a reply:

"Sure, when is that?" - Mercedes

Reading Mercedes's resounding "yes" brings a whirlwind of happiness, relief, and excitement. I feel a profound sense of relief as I realize she shares my desire to reconnect. The fear of rejection or uncertainty is replaced by a comforting assurance, lifting a weight off my shoulders, and I can't help but smile from ear to ear.

At the Football World Cup Stadium in Madrid, Mercedes and I, like everyone else, are caught up in the World Cup excitement.

Mercedes: (cheering) Go team! This game is getting intense, Zekiel!

Zekiel: (grinning) It sure is, Mercedes! The energy in the stadium is electric. Who are you cheering for today?

Mercedes: (pointing at the team) Well, you know I've always been a fan of the home team. They've got some impressive players this season. How about you?

Zekiel: (nodding) I'm leaning toward the visiting team this time. Their defense has been outstanding, and I'm curious to see if they can maintain their lead.

Mercedes: (laughs) Oh, so we're rivals for this game, huh? May the best team win!

Zekiel: (chuckles) Absolutely! It's all in good fun. What do you think of the quarterback's performance today? He's been making some incredible passes.

Mercedes: (enthusiastic) I have to agree, Zekiel. His precision is remarkable. But the running back on the other team is no slouch either. Look at him go!

Zekiel: (impressed) You're right; that guy has some serious speed. It's a back-and-forth battle, and I can't predict the outcome.

Mercedes: (leaning in) These games are always a rollercoaster of emotions. Remember that incredible touchdown last quarter? I thought our team had it in the bag.

Zekiel: (nodding) Oh, that touchdown was a thing of beauty. But you can't underestimate the resilience of the other team. That interception in the third quarter was a game-changer for them.