Chapter 81

-Sebastian-

The light from Ominis wand that was emitted when he guided his way was too bright for the darkness of the cavern, so we moved slowly through the winding corridors of the cave. I had relayed the layout of the tomb as best I could to Ominis, but the ground was rocky and uneven, and I had only been here once, months ago. He clung to the back of my shirt as I guided him through the darkness as best I could, silently casting revelio every so often to see if Finn was close or if any other enemies were hiding in the dark corridors.

I felt Ominis breath on the back of my neck, setting my nerves on edge and every pebble we disturbed from the ground seemed to echo as loud as if we had hit screamed our presence. The shadows pulled toward me without me having to call them, muffling our steps, and shrouding us in darkness. I felt them feeding on my own fear and anxiety as fuel for their power, but they were also pulling it from Ominis. As brave of a face as he tried to put on for me, I knew it had to be terrifying to walk into this situation relying fully on me to keep us safe. The fact that he was here did bring me some sort of comfort, and the tinkling of the bell on his wand grounded me slightly as the shadows continued chattering in my ear about pain and suffering. If Ronnie was here, she'd be the only other person that could hear his wand. I hoped she could hear his wand and was taking some reassurance in the fact that we were on our way.

Finally, I picked up on O'Leary's location. He was standing in the middle of the open corridor where Ronnie and I had fought all of the spiders in. Where the Acromantula had nearly killed her. The last place I'd used the killing curse. Maybe I'd use it again tonight... but I promised Ominis I wouldn't.

No!

The boy needs to suffer!

For taking her from us.

For taunting us.

Tricking us.

Hurting her.

You don't need the killing curse when you have us.

I nodded to myself. They were right. I didn't need the unforgivables, I'd bonded myself to these shadows and I might as well utilize them. Finn didn't deserve a quick death either.

I didn't pick up on any traps, but he could have concealed them. I grabbed onto Ominis' arm and pulled him off to the side of the entrance to the room and crouched just outside the doorway. I cast wordlessly revelio again. I still only picking up one person in there. I sighed to myself and leaned against the cool, damp cave wall as I mulled over our options, wishing I could talk over more of a plan with Ominis but I didn't want to risk speaking. I felt him shift behind me, letting go of my shirt.

Just go in there and overpower him!

No. We came for Ronnie, and I'm not seeing her. Where was she? I didn't want to go in there and have it be a trap and get thrown off. I wanted to at least have some of the upper hand when I walked in there. I could go in there and distract Finn while Ominis searched for Ronnie. Finn mostly likely assumed I'd come alone. Ominis could use his wand if Finn was distracted by me and get her out.

Look at you making a plan! You've grown so much, I could practically hear Ronnie tease me. I smiled to myself like an idiot in the darkness.

Suddenly, there was a loud thud and the crackling of rocks rolling along the stone floor. My head turned sharply toward the sound. I could make out the shape of Ominis on the ground and I reached down to help him up quickly.

"Lumos Maxima!"

Even though I closed my eyes the bright light blinded me and the shadows hissed away from us, leaving us exposed.