Chapter 65

-Ronnie-

"Where is that damned relic?" I cursed under my breath as I crouched in Professor Pierce's office hidden by the disillusionment charm. I had to be at detention in fifteen minutes and had thought it would be a good idea to search now since I knew he'd be away from his office. Plus the information Ominis had given us pumped me with a sense of urgency.

The office was an odd mix of organized and cluttered at the same time. The only consistent feeling to the room was pompous and self indulgent. Everything in here was unnecessarily expensive and hauty, everything trimmed in golds and silvers. A large statue of a snake barring its fangs was curled up next to the door, scaring me half to death. He had various awards hung on the wall from his time that he worked in the ministry, and a different diagrams and maps. None of it seemed to be anything helpful to my search.

I had searched through practically every inch of his office and hadn't even found a note that pertained to the relic or his plans. It was safe to say it wasn't in here, but maybe there was a magically sealed compartment that I had missed. I opened a drawer on his desk placing a few papers on top and felt around for a secret latch or button. I cast revelio in hopes of unearthing whatever secrets this office held to no avail.

I heard the door to the office click open and I froze but not before a pair of blue eyes clearly detected the ruffling of papers with invisible hands.

"Professor?" Finn called out, walking toward the desk quickly. "Who's in here?"

I brought my fingers to my necklace, a new habit I had taken to since Sebastian had given it to me. Just holding onto it seemed to ground me enough to clear my head of enough adrenaline to think clearly.

I had intended to not move to avoid being caught but Finn was on his way to run right into me. I sidestepped and the floorboard creaked. I swore under my breath and revealed myself.

"Ronnie...?" He asked confused. "What are you doing here?"

I winced, my stomach knotting up as he said my name. I was going to be in so much trouble! I also didn't want to tell Finn what I was doing! Add another person to the list of people I have endangered by involving them in my life.

He waited, searching my face for answers as I stood. "I was looking to see if there was a reason Professor Pierce seemed to have it out for me, or if I was just being dramatic," I replied nonchalantly with a light chuckle. My cheeks red from stress but I played it off as embarrassment, hanging my head. I looked up at him through my lashes with feigned innocence.

He laughed lightheartedly, and my tense muscles started to relax. "That is the most Slytherin thing I think you've ever done!" He teased.

"Not all of us can be a beloved Hufflepuff!" I shot back with a laugh.

"The world would be quite boring if that was the case, Veronica," he smirked. "I happen to really like Slytherins, admire them even." His tone light and charming as he flirted with me.

"I've noticed that Hufflepuffs and Slytherins make great friends," I smiled, moving toward him. I could always shamelessly flirt my way out of trouble.

"Aye," his smile revealing his dimples. "And they make even better couples."

"Is that so O'Leary?" I teased, shoving his broad chest playfully, but also not wanting him so close to me when he was saying the things he was. He had gotten bolder with his flirting, and I was teetering a dangerous line. Sebastian would lose his mind if he were here.

Finn's cheeks blushed and his blue eyes darkened with desire. "Come on Underhill. Don't want to be late to detention and give Professor Pierce another reason to hate you," he teased.