Chapter 5 - Never Better

After another psychotic adventure, the Sun had managed to set, giving the Moon free reign over the sky. Y/N had returned to his room, with the help of Ragatha and Kinger, to rest up and feel better after pushing and exhausting himself. Pomni had returned to hers, and her thoughts followed and teased her all the way back. Y/N put his life in pretty substantial danger to save hers. He was at least owed a thank you, right? That and she was still hoping to use that key he stole to try and find something worthwhile.

Y/N was right. Maybe. Pomni was coming around more to the idea that this was, in fact, now her reality and all these people were going through exactly what she was. While this revelation is horrible, horrifying and incredibly depressing, it does mean that Y/N was telling the truth and just trying to be friendly and helpful. There may still be a friendship between the two of them yet! If he could forgive her for running off like that, Caine had managed to get under her skin so easily with the promise of an exit. Said exit almost cost her life.

Pomni managed to work up the courage to leave her room and go over to Y/N's. But why was her heart racing? It's only Y/N. Yeah, only Y/N. Nothing to be nervous about. The following knock told otherwise, ringing out as a shaky, disjointed and unconfident statement of Pomni's presence. No response returned, however, as Y/N's room seemed to remain silent. Did he fall asleep? Or maybe he wasn't in his room. She tried the doorbell next, but once again got no response. At least for a few seconds, until she heard a light shifting sound emerging from under the door, but it still didn't open. Alright, Plan C.

Pomni - "Uh... Y-Y/N? A-Are you in there?"

Nothing again. Plan D was when privacy started to be breached, but at this point, if Pomni had to wait another hour to either thank Y/N or explore the key he stole she'd lose it. Peeking through the keyhole didn't really help, however, only revealing his dimly lit room and a large shadow on the ceiling. No response once again, however.

Plan E was a last-ditch effort, but Pomni couldn't wait any longer. She prepared to open the door after turning it and pushing gently to confirm it wasn't locked-

Ragatha - "Whatchya doing, Pomni?"

Pomni jumped almost a foot in the air in shock as Ragatha sneaks up next to her.

Pomni - "H-Hey Ragatha! I was just... checking to see if Y/N was okay! Yup!"

Ragatha - "I see. And that involves breaking into his room, does it?"

Pomni - "B-Breaking in? I-I-I have no idea what you're t-talking about, eheheh..."

Ragatha folded her arms, unsatisfied with Pomni's haphazard response. Pomni sighed in defeat and looked back at Y/N's door.

Pomni - "I-I wanted to thank him for earlier."

Ragatha smiled and walked over to her, managing to separate her from Y/N's door while standing and engaging casually.

Ragatha - "Y/N always goes above and beyond for everyone, doesn't he? Sometimes I worry he doesn't even care about himself that much and spends too much time worrying about all of us."

She sighed and looked at Y/N's portrait on his door, smiling softy.

Ragatha - "He means a lot to me. I don't know where I'd be without him, to be honest."

Pomni - "I- uh, I didn't know you two went that far back."

Ragatha - "He saved me from abstracting. All he did was ask if I was okay and said I could be honest with him. It was the most human thing I'd encountered since I entered the circus."

Just like his walk with Pomni. Was this a ritual he did with every member then? She remembered what she felt like when she met Y/N. It was a comforting breath of familiarity. No unpredictable hijinks or madness, just another human being who empathised with her.