Chapter 19 - A Beautifully Stupid Optimistic Idea

After everyone had calmed down the group trickled back to the Tent, subconsciously forming a protective circle around Gangle. She was still wiping the tears from her eyes but was positively beaming. She gave a hug to everyone at least three times.

Y/N's mind, however, was already wandering. When Gangle was 'saved', she felt warmer. The lukewarm temperature of the Amazing Digital Circus was one that your body got used to, so even the slightest change in temperature felt extremely noticeable. Like when Y/N and Pomni entered the Darkness for the first time. Maybe it was because she was saved from abstracting? Had it made her more alive?

Pomni - "Y/N?"

Y/N - "Hmm? Oh."

Through his thinking, Y/N had absentmindedly walked into a wall and just sort of stood there for the better part of a minute.

Pomni - "Are you alright?"

Y/N - "Yeah, yeah, just uh... studying this wall. Good wall, I think. Cracking wall, in fact."

Pomni - "... okay."

Zooble - "How do you manage to get weirder and weirder?"

Y/N - "It's my special talent Zooble, I manage to consistently one-up myself in weirdness. One day I'll become so weird even Caine will get worried."

Jax - "Yeah, wouldn't that be crazy?"

Kinger - "I'm worried!"

Y/N - "Well that's nothing new, Kinger."

Kinger - "Oh yeah."

Was there a way to make everyone feel like how Gangle did? Could Y/N make them all more human? Even for just a moment. It would feel like bliss, like euphoria rushing across your body. Just imagining feeling something again...

Y/N had to try.

Have you ever been obsessed with something?

Pomni felt like she had her fair share of obsessions. In the real world she was probably fixated on all sorts; a TV show she liked, a hobby she was interested in, a subject she excelled in perhaps. None of these, however, were in any way near the level of interest she had in Y/N.

It had to be a crush. It had to be. Surely. She had been fighting the acceptance of her crush for some time now. Y/N made her truly feel safe, he made her laugh, and he made her feel human again. He was incredible. And just now, with Gangle, he had saved someone's life. That's insane. Isn't that insane? Pomni couldn't fathom saving a person's life. He talked her down from abstracting simply by being himself, but he's still so humble.

And then all those things Ragatha and Jax had said. And Zooble acted suspiciously when they walked in on them. Did Y/N...

No.

Maybe?

Ugh, it was confusing, but if Pomni didn't get an answer soon she may as well abstract from how mad it was driving her. Y/N's voice snapped her out of her thoughts. Only Y/N, Gangle and she were left in the corridor at this point. Clearly Pomni was too deep to notice everyone else trailing off.

Y/N - "And you're sure you're okay?"

Gangle - "Y-Yes, I promise."

Y/N - "Alright. Come get me if you need anything, okay? Anything. If you can't find me go find Rags or Zooble."

Gangle gave the closest thing to a thumbs up she could before enveloping Y/N in one last hug and slithering back to her room. The minute the door was shut Y/N spun around and grabbed Pomni's hand to practically drag her back to his room.