Chapter 26 - All's Well That Ends Well

Pomni hadn't lifted herself from Y/N's chest. She was a wonderful source of warmth in comparison to the coldness surrounding them.

Every now and then Ragatha would look behind her shoulder at the two of them. She'd start by looking at Pomni; her hair a mess, her hands woven around Y/N's shoulders, and her face fully obscured. It looked as if it were the last time she'd ever hug him. Ragatha would smile at this and then turn to face Y/N, who was looking down at Pomni with an expression of soft joy. A sort of gentle smile that said a thousand words condensed into a single simple expression. From this Ragatha's smile would widen. Despite being chased through this quite horrid place, it was a lovely sight to see. She only wondered how long it would be until the two of them were official. Funnily enough, so were Pomni and Y/N.

Pomni was still too embarrassed to look Y/N in the face. She actually managed to say she needed to speak to him. In her plan, that was the easy part. Now she had to actually confess her feelings. What if he didn't feel the same way, and all this time Pomni had been stirring this romantic pot for no real reason other than her yearning for human connection? But surely there was something here between the two of them. There had to be. And what if Pomni lost Y/N again, but for good this time? She had to get this off of her chest.

Y/N never expected to find a greater purpose in this place. He was convinced that for the rest of time (or at least the foreseeable future) he was to be stranded here and to be the healer of the group. He made people feel better, put up with this awfully mundane existence, and that was that. Sure, others had impacted Y/N for the better; Ragatha, Gangle, and Zooble were all very close to him, and he was happy about it. Pomni was different, though, so incredibly different. This was romance, and knowing and accepting that fact made his stomach plunge.

Queenie and Kaufmo had led them away from any of the strange screeches of whatever was down in this place and into what looked to be some shady corner. Apparently this was a safer spot. It looked exactly the same as everywhere else in this place, but Queenie and Kaufmo seemed to relax upon entering the space, so the others placed their trust in them.

Queenie - "Oh good, we should be safe here. I doubt they will give up on pursuing you, however, you should leave for your safety."

Ragatha - "L-Leave? But we just found you! Don't you want to find some way out of here?"

Queenie laughed a little and looked down.

Queenie - "Oh, I have done plenty of searching. I believe I am bound to this place."

Y/N - "We have a way to come and go as we please, can't you just-"

Queenie - "Oh, I would if I could dear Y/N. Besides, the Abstractions need me here. Oh, but do visit! It's been so wonderful to see you again."

This didn't persuade Y/N. No, there had to be a way to save Queenie. She was here, just fine. Maybe he just needed to factor it into the plan. Y/N held onto Queenie's hands and looked her dead in the eyes.

Y/N - "I promise you, we will get you out of here. We'll save you."

Queenie - "Oh, as adamant as ever Y/N. Do you truly think there's some way?"

Y/N - "I... I don't know. But I'll not stop trying. We'll come say hi, maybe even bring some other friends along."

Queenie - "Oh, that sounds wondrous. Please take care of my Kinger."

Y/N - "Of course."

Ragatha smiled and looked at Y/N, who winked at her back. The cogs were clearly turning in her head too. Y/N would change the very fabric of this place's reality if he had to: those two would be reunited. It may not be today, but it'll happen. He'll make it happen.