Chapter 30 - The Candy Canyon Kingdom!

You would come to hate the Tent. Red, yellow, blocks and toys everywhere like you were a child attempting to be entertained in a waiting room. Everything in the place made you feel small. The one singular benefit Y/N saw from being in this place was getting out of there. Even the air got dry after a while.

Of all of the kingdoms Caine had shoved them into, the Candy Canyon Kingdom was probably high up there as one of the best ones. It was a favourite of Caine's for sure considering it was the most consistent to reappear. Kinger, Y/N, and Zooble had all been here before at least once, Kinger and Y/N a few times more than that. From the rolling pastel pink dunes of the 'Dessert' (which Kinger thought was hilarious when he first heard the name) to the rising stacks of snacks and delectable treats carving a hollow mountain scape you could get lost in the gorgeous blue and yellow sky - the sunsets of which were particularly wondrous - to the fantastically bright walls, houses, and castle of the kingdom itself. For a first-timer, it was probably quite miraculous. However, upon his fifth visit, Y/N found it to be rather stale. No pun intended.

The journey to the kingdom walls was still about ten minutes away. Games and entertainment were short-lived. Ragatha quickly ran out of ideas for road trip-friendly tournaments and Jax would try and sabotage each round as quickly as possible, so the "fun" factor had shot down. Thankfully Y/N and Pomni had each other. Pomni had fallen asleep against Y/N's shoulder a while back, and in turn, Y/N's eyes hadn't really left her since. She just looked so adorable sleeping. Like a koala with the grip of a mountain lion; seriously, Y/N worried for his digital bones sometimes from how intensely Pomni would grip onto him. Occasionally someone would throw them a smile which Y/N would return, all with the exception of Jax who would gag and subsequently be smacked across the head by Ragatha or snarled at by Gangle. Otherwise, the group sat in silence.

This is until Jax stretched an arm into Ragatha's pocket and withdrew a red key. He spun it around his fingers, whistling a tune to grab her attention as he smirked.

Jax - "You've gotta get better at hiding these, Dollface."

Ragatha - "J-Jax?! Give that back!"

Jax - "Whaaaat? I'm just studying it; I never noticed how it's the same kind of red as your hair. You could get it lost in there-"

The cart bumped suddenly from a rock passing under the wheel. Everyone buckled against the thud. Unfortunately, the key slipped out of Jax's fingers and out of the cart, sitting alone on the road and getting further and further away.

Y/N - "Nice one."

Ragatha - "YOU BETTER GET THAT BACK!"

Jax - "Ugh, fine. You owe me one, though."

Ragatha - "Wha- YOU LOST IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!"

Jax swung his feet out of the cart, letting his body follow and plop down onto the dunes beside them. In a split second Y/N followed suit.

Y/N - "I'll keep an eye on him, we'll catch up."

Ragatha - "We'll try and slow down a bit, thanks Y/N!"

Pomni was still attached to him and by the looks of things was not letting go, so Y/N ferried her along too in a brisk jog to catch up to Jax's gentle meandering.

Jax - "Glad you can take a hint. What's Poms doing here?"

Y/N - "I couldn't get her off even if I tried. She's asleep, anyway."

Jax - "Fine."

Jax looked over his shoulder to double-check the cart was far away enough and then began his Shakespearian monologue. Y/N managed to tear his eyes away from the radiance of Pomni to try and focus on this crucial information but still found his eyes straying back to her from time to time.