Chapter 31 - Humbled and Forgotten

Gangle was a pretty good driver for being made out of ribbons.

That was the only thought that managed to pierce through Y/Ns' overthinking.

"Two halves."

"Same machine"

"Maybe you're like him?"

Those stupid thoughts wouldn't leave him alone. Like Caine? Like his enemy? Maybe "enemy" was a bit strong of a word choice, but it felt appropriate; he was the antagonist, and he played God. In this world, he may as well be God.

That power made it frustrating to deal with him. Caine could probably snap them out of existence if he wanted to. Before they could even beg. No one deserves that sort of power over the lives of others.

Especially not him.

Pomni - "A-Are you happy to talk now, or..."

Y/N's scowl softened upon hearing Pomni's voice. They were sat together in the back of the monstrous vehicle. Ragatha was arguing with Jax in the front and Kinger had spaced out to another dimension, so it was basically just the two of them.

Y/N - "S-Sure. Uh... Jax and I spoke earlier, and he threw in a comment that I was maybe like... like Caine."

Pomni - "Like Caine?"

Y/N - "Yeah. The abilities and all that. I can do what he can't do and vice versa. Like we fill in the gaps needed for this place to function."

Pomni's face changed into something Y/N had never quite seen before on her face. It was an expression so foreign that he didn't know what to make of it. Was it thoughtful? Frightened? Analysing?

Pomni - "Huh... I hadn't thought of it that way-"

Y/N - "I think he's just trying to get on my nerves. He knows I don't like Caine."

Pomni - "If you don't mind me asking, w-why don't you like him?"

Y/N - "Well first of all, Caine isn't a "he", or a "they", he's barely an "it", because that implies he has feelings and a person behind him. He's the authority that I can never overpass, a splinter I can never dig out of my skin. None of us can ever truly be free with him here. He is an obstacle."

In that moment Y/N was taken aback. He didn't like speaking about anyone that way. Even against Caine, for the amount of distaste he had for him, it felt harsh. Pomni reflected on this feeling.

Pomni - "W-Wow... I, uh, I didn't think you... thought of him that way. I didn't think you thought of anyone that way."

Y/N - "... me neither."

Was that hatred? Was that some sort of anger Y/N hadn't realised he had within him?

It felt scary to talk like that. Trying to brush it aside, Y/N blinked quickly and returned to their conversation.

Y/N - "Jax got in my head and I'm spiralling a bit is all."

Pomni - "Okay, so, uh, don't get mad at me, but would it be such a bad thing if you were like Caine?"

Y/N - "... yes?"

Pomni - "I-In what way?"

Y/N - "Pomni, if I was an AI I wouldn't be real."

Y/N spoke a little harsher than he wanted to. As he saw the hint of worry and fear spread into Pomni's eyes he softened immediately and wrapped his hands over hers.