Chapter 9 - Not Everyone who Wanders is Lost

Jax was a tricky man to find.

Harkening to his design, toon logic always seemed to be in his favour. The world around him bent to his ease and comfort, making him lazier and much more apathetic than anyone else at the Amazing Digital Circus. Why try when things just happen for you?

However, Jax wasn't dead weight, not at all. You see, Y/N had a bit of a theory; Jax did things that seemed odd, out of place and out of character. When Caine is around, he seems to subconsciously help guide the adventures along and prompt Caine's insane monologues to reach further insanities. He never put in active effort or was placed in active danger during any adventure. Those keys he had seemed to appear and open places as he pleased. How did he do any of this? Well here's the theory; Jax was in cahoots with Caine, helping railroad the adventures and keep everyone in check and in return he was granted with a little more knowledge of the goings on. The keys, for instance, were something of a gift he must've received from Caine for helping him. A deal had been struck.

Or that's the theory, anyway. It explains Jax's strange behaviour but doesn't simplify his potential motives. Y/N couldn't help but rethink what Jax said to him the other day.

Y/N - "Why would he only let one of us out."

Jax - "Maybe only one of us deserves to leave."

What did he mean by that?

Y/N - "Jaaaax? Where are you? Why can't you be somewhere convenient?"

Y/N's voice called out into the vast empty chamber of the Tent. He was very much alone in all directions. Had Jax gone outside? Peaking his head out the door, he nodded at Zooble as they brushed past him through the entrance.

Zooble - "Jax is looking for you."

Y/N - "Urgently, I'm told. Any idea where he is?"

Zooble - "I just left him at the lake, but he was muttering about moving. He could be miles away now."

Y/N - "Of course. Thanks anyways."

As Zooble passed Y/N sighed slightly while descending to the ground level. Why couldn't Jax just knock on his door? And it felt weird that he sent Pomni as a messenger. Maybe Y/N was just overthinking it, this was probably just another one of his lame pranks.

Y/N was pulled out of his thoughts by a nearby door creaking open, the shadows of the room behind it lurking forwards.

Y/N - "Oooh, inviting. I'm guessing this is you, Jax, would you mind cutting the horror movie stuff and just cut to the punchline?"

His calls received no response. The door seemed to be moving gently back and forth, swinging on its hinges as if there were a strong breeze blowing through the Tent. Wind, and perhaps even air, does not exist here unless Caine wills it to be, however, so this is almost definitely some goofy, silly and undoubtedly wacky little shenanigan that Jax had pulled off. A comical and overdone prank with way too much effort put into it. The shadows are actually a collection of hand puppets Jax had meticulously crafted for this exact moment, the door creaking on its hinged instability by a rope pulley system that had a full machine made for it (also lovingly crafted by Jax), and the mist that was now pouring out of the door was a smoke machine.

Y/N - "Very fancy. You've made a disco in there or what?"

Curiosity killed the cat. Y/N wasn't a cat, but this felt rather threatening. Curiosity did indeed get the better of him as he walked blindly into Jax's inevitable scheme. The room was pitch black, as advertised, and the door forcefully slammed shut behind him, plunging Y/N into the darkness that enticed him in the first place.