Chapter 25 - Still Standing

Time was hard to keep track of in the Amazing Digital Circus. Now, admittedly that's a redundant statement, as this is a common fact. However, Y/N had tried several times (and failed with each attempt) to track, monitor and follow time. It seemed to change irregularly; sometimes days were longer, sometimes they were shorter. They were stuck in the night for a very, very long time a while back. The sun was on strike, apparently.

The best method Y/N had come up with was just talking in a general manner. The Timeline of General Manner goes as follows:

"Just now,"

"Recently,"

"A bit ago,"

"A while back,"

"A good while back,"

"Ages ago,"

"I can't even remember," and finally,

"Before I was here."

Why is the Timeline of General Manner important? Well, Y/N had come face to face with a person he hadn't seen for probably years, and a person he was convinced was dead. The last time they spoke would fit snugly between "Ages ago" and "I can't even remember" upon the scale.

Queenie was one of the better souls to have crossed into the amazing Digital Circus. She was kind, she was funny, and she was very caring and soothing. But then, one day, she just disappeared. Caine said Jax found her abstracted, and he had to deal with her. Kinger was never quite the same. Y/N always had his suspicions, but never thought of any way of acting upon them. This past while had only been confirming his suspicions, and now they were all but a reality.

Y/N - "Q-Queenie?!"

All movement managed to flow back into Y/N's body as he swam over to Queenie, wrapping her into a hug and only tightening his grip.

Queenie - "O-Oh goodness, I didn't think you missed me that much!"

Y/N - "What are you talking about?! Of course I missed you."

She felt warm against the coldness of the Darkness. It was incredibly comforting. Unwillingly, Y/N let go and seized her by the shoulders to begin looking her over. Her cloak was torn a bit in places, and stained with some inky substance around the bottom. She and Kinger always looked so comfortable in those cloaks, Y/N was quite envious of them.

Y/N - "W-What happened to you? Are you okay?"

Queenie - "Oh, I'm just fine, but I'm awfully concerned for you. It seems we have befallen a similar fate, funnily enough; you don't look like you have abstracted, but rather have been sealed into this place, correct?"

Y/N - "Uh... yes? To be honest I'm not entirely sure yet."

Queenie - "Oh, well allow me to enlighten you."

She grabbed Y/N's hand and softly led him further into the turret, placing him gently against the floor and spying Pomni's gloves as she went.

Queenie - "Oh, new gloves?"

Y/N - "Kinda?"

Queenie let out a soft chuckle that sounded slightly distorted in tone as she too sat down across from Y/N.

Queenie - "Oh, you've always been so mysterious, Y/N."

Y/N - "Well I suppose I can be a bit more transparent now. I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say you didn't abstract?"

Queenie - "Oh, I most certainly did not. I'm still a stable individual, but Jax encountered me and informed me that Caine required my assistance with something. I went to lend a hand, and I was pushed through a doorway and into this place."