Chapter 21 - Flattery Will Get You Somewhere

Was a suit too formal? Not like Y/N had any alternatives, but for a first date, it seemed a bit forward. Was this a date, even?

It'll have to do.

Y/N was nervously pacing back and forth in his room, tapping his sides rhythmically and whistling to himself. Pomni had been gone for a short while now. Maybe he had scared her off and she was just pretending to be happy? Maybe? Like a false enthusiasm. Had he come off too strong? His thinking was interrupted by a rapid knocking at his door. Upon flinging the door open, there stood Pomni. She had freshened up too; her hair looked wonderfully silky and shiny and it was noticeably styled with more intention than usual. Was that makeup too? How had she found that? Beaming, she spoke up to him.

Pomni - "H-Hi!"

Y/N - "... hey."

Pomni's smile dropped instantly.

Pomni - "D-Do you not like it?"

Y/N - "N-No, no, it's not that, I just- I didn't expect to see you all prettied up. You look really nice."

Pomni - "P-P-Pretty?"

The word seemed foreign to her, which was a sore sight to see.

Y/N - "Yeah, pretty."

Pomni - "... o-oh. T-Thanks."

Y/N - "... do you not think you're pretty?"

Stepping out of his room, Y/N joined Pomni's side as they began to walk leisurely down the corridor. All the while Y/N was stunned; say what you will, but to Y/N at least Pomni was gorgeous. She was adorable. There wasn't a single part of her that wasn't. Was that a bit much? Pomni patted alongside Y/N nervously while trying to stray her eyes from him. Y/N could tell that she was playing all sorts of mental games to pick the exact right words. Her nerves were flattering, but it only made Y/N more adamant about making her feel more comfortable. If that was what this became, then let it be.

Pomni - "I-I'd never really considered it. I can't remember how I looked outside of here... b-but, uh, I don't think this digital form is very flattering."

Y/N - "I completely disagree."

His words fell out so easily but it felt so natural. Y/N was still stuck in genuine shock. Of everyone here, he'd say Pomni got off the best. She had all limbs and senses intact, was close to normal colours, a friendly shape. The only disadvantage was her being the shortest, but that added to her cherubic nature. As he had concluded earlier, Pomni was shaped like a friend.

Pomni - "Y-You do?"

Y/N - "Yeah! You're so small and lovely. And pretty."

She let out one of those wonderful little squeaks and nodded. They stepped outside into the fresh digital air before Y/n spoke up again.

Y/N - "Do you genuinely not think you're pretty?"

This time Pomni managed to let out a short-lived laugh. Clearly she was finding amusement and flattery in Y/N's persistent bewilderment.

Pomni - "Haha, you're not gonna let this go, are you?"

Y/N - "I'm just floored is all."

Pomni - "Floored?"

Y/N - "Yes! I think you're very pretty."

All colour theory and the research that had gone into it was stripped from the books as Pomni managed to reach the purest red any reality had seen. It looked like she was sunburnt to a comedic degree, or about to explode like a red paintball. She in fact stood in place for a minute to process what Y/N said before realising she was falling behind and catching back up.