6. Mort

UZUI'S P.O.V.

"So," Rengoku hums as we step into my home, "that was the infamous Y/N. She's an interesting character."

"More like an irritating character," I scoff, walking over to the kitchen and pouring a cup of tea.

"How come you refuse to train her? She has a noble cause, isn't that flashy enough for you? She's even willing to work hard. Isn't that what the demon slayers are supposed to be doing?"

"No," I tell him. "It's not that simple. She's too weak."

"You can't tell me you know how determined she is. It's obvious that she's not going to give up," he says, getting closer to me. "You should at least give her a chance. I mean, it's not like there's anything else you can do. She's not going to give up."

"Why don't you just mind your own business, Rengoku?" I groan, meeting his eyes with a frustrated look in mine.

"Why don't you?" he shrugs. "I mean, you didn't have to take her in."

I sigh, knowing he's right.

"And why are you so against her training anyway?" he continues. "Surely, she'd be able to handle it. I can tell you have some sort of interest in her."

I freeze and my eyes go wide. This idiot can't possibly know what he's talking about. I can feel my blood boil as he continues speaking.

"She's a very beautiful woman," he adds, and my eye begins to twitch. "She could be a great addition to the Demon Slayers Corps."

"She will never be part of the corps," I spit at him, and he chuckles.

"Why are you acting like this?"

"Because I can't let her die!" I finally admit, raising my voice a bit too loudly.

"So what? That's the risk everyone takes when they join."

"It's different, Rengoku. She's not going to survive."

"Is that so?"

"Yes," I huff.

"Well, I mean, if that's your decision then fine," Rengoku finally begins to back off. "But just know that training is a good way to make sure she doesn't die."

Y/N'S P.O.V.

The next morning I wake up, put on my new uniform, and grab the wooden sword that Rengoku gave me. I make sure to take the time to hide it well in my clothes so that Uzui won't notice.

However, just as I walk downstairs, I see the three wives all bundled up in heavy winter clothes.

"Uh, what're you guys doing?" you ask them on your way for a cup of water from the kitchen. "You know it's only autumn still, right?"

"Yeah, but it's freezing," Suma answers, her teeth chattering.

"And snowing," Makio adds.

"Really? Wow, it's almost as if I couldn't see the snow coming out the window," you remark, and she sticks her tongue out at you.

"Are you leaving now, Y/N?" Hinatsuru questions.

"Yes. Do any of you want to train with me today?" you ask hopefully. Usually one of them will agree as long as you do something light. They know better than to get on Uzui's bad side, unlike you.

However, today they all look at each other with an odd look in their eyes. You're not sure what's going on, but you definitely don't have a great feeling about it.

"No, sorry," each one of them says, making you begin to get suspicious.

"Really Suma? Not even if I bring back those strawberries you love so much?"

"I'm sorry, Y/N, but it's too cold for us," she answers, causing the other girls to nod in agreement.

"But you always wear those short dresses," you argue. "I'd love to know how those are any better than pants and a jacket."

The girls don't respond. Rather, they look at you as though you're the crazy one.

"What are you girls talking about?" a voice suddenly asks from behind you. You turn around and see Uzui entering the room, holding a bag full of supplies. "Y/N, where are you going?"

You reach down to the wooden sword hidden beneath your clothes, making sure nothing is poking out. "Oh, I'm just going to, um, pick some flowers," you lie, looking away.

"Flowers?" Uzui repeats, arching an eyebrow. "At this time of year? I don't think so."

You gulp as he grabs onto your arm and pulls you right out the front door. "Today, you've got better things to do. Today, I am going to train you."

Your jaw drops and a smile spreads across your face. "Really?"

"Yes. It's no fun having a weakling living under my roof," he scoffs.

Behind him, you can see Suma giving you a thumbs up. But, before you can say anything else to Uzui, he tosses you two swords with an interesting jagged design.

"These are called Nichirin swords," he tells you, watching as you examine them. "They're only used by demon slayers. But don't think this means that you're actually a member, because you're not."

"They're so cool," you mumble in a barely audible voice.

"Now listen up! Lesson one. An introduction to the rhythm of the breath!" he begins, before starting to explain the importance of connecting with the natural rhythm of your environment.

After he's done speaking, he closes his eyes and takes in a deep breath. And, like an idiot, you do the same.

"What the hell are you doing, Y/N?" he suddenly shouts, making you open your eyes and look at him with a stunned expression on your face.

"You took a deep breath, too!"

"You took a breath like a complete child!" he barks. "Don't you know how to breathe at all?"

"How is breathing supposed to be any different than that?!"

"I just showed you," he grumbles, before demonstrating the correct way to inhale and exhale. "Try breathing in sync with the sounds of snow falling."

You're beyond confused. How is any of this going to help you kill a demon?