13. 死亡

UZUI'S P.O.V.

After I leave the four women at the restaurant, I head straight to the headquarters of the demon slayers. I need to figure out where this cult house is so I can put an end to them once and for all. My goal is to meet Kagaya and talk to him about what a good first step could be, but before I get anywhere near him, Rengoku pops out of nowhere and stands right in front of me.

"Hello Uzui," he smiles widely.

"Hey, Rengoku. Sorry, but I'm not really in the mood for chatting right now," I shake my head.

"Aw, why not? I'm sure I could be of some use," he nods.

"Fine, just give me a minute to find Kagaya. Then I'll tell you all about it," I reply.

"Oh, he's not here right now," he informs me. "But I am."

I sigh. I guess there's no getting around this. "What do you know about any demon cults around here?"

"Demon cults? Does this have something to do with Y/N?" he asks me.

"Just tell me what you know," I groan.

"Alright," he says, and then he takes a deep breath before continuing, "There's one not far from your home. It's called Eternal Paradise Faith. Supposedly it was founded by a demon named Doma who can control humans with his words. They have been stealing and selling humans for years, and even using the people's own loved ones against them. Demon slayers have been trying to track down their location for a while now."

"How do you know all of that?" I ask, surprised.

"I've been investigating the cult for awhile," he nods. "Ever since a demon slayer who had family in the cult went missing there's been a team of us looking into it. But it's not a popular case because they don't directly target or go after any demon slayers."

"Y/N came from that place," I tell him. "She said Doma was the one who killed her sister."

"What?" Rengoku's eyes widen.

"Yeah, she also said she has a brother there. And now she's hell-bent on going in and saving him, but I refuse to let her."

"Why not?" he questions.

"Because it's too dangerous," I sigh, running a hand through my hair. "And besides, I'm not sure if I even trust her at the moment. She withheld that information for months. I don't know what else she could be hiding."

Rengoku is quiet for a moment, and then he says, "Well she could be very valuable to the situation. You know, since she's not an official demon slayer she could probably walk right into that place and give us some good intel."

I shake my head. There's no way I could let Y/N do that. "She can't. She wants to be in there. I'd lose control of her the second she goes inside."

"What a weird situation. Why did Y/N leave without her brother if she's so protective over him?" Rengoku then questions aloud.

"Because," I sigh, "I think he has similar values to Y/N. He knows demons are bad, and he wants to fight them. They also have reason to believe their mother went missing in that same place."

"Interesting," he muses. "You should talk both of them into being a demon slayer then," Rengoku laughs.

"No chance in hell," I grumble.

"Hey, maybe Y/N is hiding something else. Maybe she knows more than what she's letting on. Or maybe she just needs someone to talk to. Have you thought about that?"

"Yes," I answer, and Rengoku raises an eyebrow. "I talk to her all the time."

Rengoku rolls his eyes. "I mean really talk to her. Have a real heart-to-heart, and not just about her problems."

"She's never asked for a heart-to-heart," I shake my head.

"Of course not, Uzui," Rengoku sighs, throwing his hands up in the air. "What woman in their right mind is going to go up to a man who asks her to call him her master and tell him all of their feelings?"

"Why wouldn't she?"

"You're hopeless, Uzui," Rengoku shakes his head. "You know, if I was you, I'd go home and talk to her. Find out what's really going on, or maybe try to get some useful information out of her."

"I will take care of that myself," I huff, and then I turn around and begin walking away. "Just let me know when Master Ubuyashiki is back, okay?"

"Got it," Rengoku calls out, and I can feel his eyes on my back.

"Good luck!"

With that, I continue on my way, and head back towards my estate. However, before I get home, I find myself distracted by the shops on the streets.

As I pass by the various stands and stalls, my eyes wander over the trinkets and goods for sale.

"Do you see anything you like?" a merchant calls out, waving me over.

"No thanks," I reply.

"Aw, come on. Take a look," the man insists.

I decide to humor him and make my way over. When I arrive at the stall, the man smiles brightly and holds out a small, silver chain with a single pendant attached to it.

"This is a special item," he says, his grin widening. "It's meant to bring happiness and protection. It's perfect for a new girlfriend or wife."

I stare at the necklace in his hand. It's pretty, but I don't think I need something like that.

"No thanks," I say, and I turn away from him.

"Wait," he calls out. "This necklace will protect your loved ones and bring joy to their lives. It helps dispel temptations from the devil."

"What is it?" I question.

"A talisman," he tells me. "It's supposed to help ward off evil."

"How much?" I ask, curiosity getting the best of me.

"Nineteen hundred yen," the merchant replies.

"That's ridiculous," I shake my head.

"No, no," he laughs, shaking his head. "You don't understand, my friend. You won't find this anywhere else. I could sell it to you for nearly double the price, but I can tell there's someone specific you're trying to keep safe."

"Why do you say that?" I ask.

"You have that look," he explains. "It's the look of a man in love."

"In love?" I scoff, shaking my head. "Of course I am. I have my wives for that. What makes you think I'm in love with someone else?"

"I didn't say you were," the man shrugs. "I just know you're trying to protect a woman from something. That's what the talisman is good for."

"You can read me that well?" I chuckle.

"Like an open book," he smiles.

"And how can you tell all of this?" I question, my interest piqued.

"I'm a salesman," he explains. "I've been doing this for a long time, and I've seen enough faces to know when someone's got their eye on another person."

"Really," I murmur. "Interesting. I'll take the necklace. Can you wrap it up for me?"

"Of course, sir," he bows.

The merchant quickly wraps the necklace up and hands it over to me. As soon as the little package is in my hand, I shove it deep into my pocket and hurry home.