15. Ọdịnaya

A week later you finally perfect the defensive techniques Uzui had taught you. You have spent every waking moment bothering Makio, Hinatsuru, and Suma to spar with you so you can get more practice in.

Now, you hope to showcase what you've learned by sparring with Makio in front of the others. Uzui watches, his arms folded over his chest, as you and Makio face each other.

"Okay, Y/N. Remember, use the same techniques I taught you," he says, and his tone is calm.

You nod, and the two of you begin circling each other. Hinatsuru and Suma cheer the two of you on.

"Come on, Y/N," Suma shouts, and you can tell she's nervous for you. "Get her!"

Makio lunges at you, and you raise your blade to block. The two of you trade blows back and forth until you decide to test out the dual harmonic shield, which Uzui had shown you last week.

With a smirk, you position your blades, and when Makio attacks, a loud sound fills the air and your body vibrates from the sheer force.

"Good, Y/N. Very good," Uzui says once the spar comes to an end, and his praise makes your heart swell. "You're ready."

"Did you see that?" Hinatsuru smiles proudly, nudging Suma. However, Suma doesn't respond. When you look over at her, you see a completely blank expression on her face.

"What?!" she then says, facing Uzui. "She's ready for what?!"

He looks at her with a confused look and points towards you. "She did well. She's ready for some offensive techniques now."

"Oh," Suma mumbles, and her cheeks redden. "I thought you were going to say something else."

"Like what?" he asks, but before she can respond, Makio pipes up.

"You're right, Master, this is only the beginning for Y/N. And you are the best teacher she could have," she smiles at you, causing him to do the same towards Makio.

"That's right, but so are you two," Hinatsuru adds. "Makio and Suma, you have helped Y/N so much. Don't forget to take some credit."

"Yes, that's true," you agree with her. "I couldn't have done it without the practice you all gave me."

"Oh, no, I don't teach," Suma shakes her head.

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean you didn't help Y/N," Makio pats her on the shoulder.

After that, the three women leave and give you time alone with Uzui so he can teach you the offensive techniques.

"First up," he says while drawing his swords, "you're going to learn Harmony Crescendo. But we're going to try and make this more practical and less about theory."

"Okay," you nod, readying your swords.

"Here, take a strike toward me with both swords," he instructs, and so you do. He deflects both of your blades and then counters with his own attack.

"When a demon or enemy attacks you, focus on your breathing and send a wave of energy from the core of your body up through your arms. Harmony Crescendo requires a synchronized attack with both swords. If you do this properly, you will be able to execute a series of fluid strikes, creating a harmonious flow of movements."

"I thought you said this was going to be more practical," you say, brain spinning from all of his words.

"It is," he nods. "You try it. Use your breathing to deliver a barrage of strikes."

You nod and begin attacking him. He blocks every one of your strikes, and soon enough you're panting heavily.

"Stop," he says.