23. Kamatayan

RENGOKU'S P.O.V.

When I look back at the demon, it's making its way past the wall of fire. I need to leave Y/N's side to attack the demon.

"K-Kyo..." she chokes.

"Please, Y/N," I plead with her, gripping her shoulders tightly.

"I can't," she cries.

With a sigh, I let go of her. She's going to have to learn how to conquer this fear if she's ever going to succeed as a demon slayer. I just don't want her to lose her life doing so.

"I'm sorry," I say to her before turning to face the demon. "I'll be back."

With that, I rush to the demon and use my flame breathing.

"Flame breathing, fourth form!" I shout as my blade cuts one of the demon's many necks. It yelps in pain and while I have a spare moment, I glance back at Y/N. Unfortunately, the demon begins to catch on. This time, instead of aiming its attacks at me, it looks in her direction.

"Y/N, run!" I shout just a split second before the demon lunges at her. I don't have time to waste. I rush in front of her and block the demon's attack with my blade, causing it to stagger back once more. We watch as my flame breathing intensifies, creating a large wall of fire than before and forcing the demon to recoil back. Its desperate attempts to charge at me are useless against the searing heat.

I seize the moment to close in on it and attack again. This time, I slice through the rest of the necks with my blade. The demon screams in pain but I press on in my attack relentlessly until its body disintegrates, defeated by my flame breathing.

With the threat extinguished, I turn swiftly to scan the area for Y/N. She's on her knees, tears streaming down her face. Without hesitating, I rush to her side, embracing her tightly.

"It's okay, I'm here," I whisper softly, holding her close. Her cries echo into the cave, a release of pent-up emotions that have long lingered within her. I offer what peace I can as she clings to me.

Time drains away as we stay locked in the embrace. But gradually, her sobs die down and she pulls away, her eyes reflecting a mix of gratitude and sorrow.

"I'm sorry," she whispers as she wipes her eyes.

"It's okay," I smile softly. "Are you alright?"

"I guess," she shrugs. "Thank you."

"Of course," I tell her. "I'll always be here for you."

I then lean in close to her, but just as my lips are about to reach hers, she stands up and brushes off her clothes.

"Let's head back," she then says, not noticing how red my face had gotten. "We need to let the others know what we saw."

"Uh, yeah," I say, standing up as well. But before either of us can take a step, a screeching noise echoes from further in the cave. The two of us look over and see a large group of demons racing towards us.

Without thinking, Y/N pushes me back, reaches for one of the swords on her back, and strikes a demon that got way too close for comfort. I wish I could savor the moment, but demons are surrounding us in every direction. Y/N begins to fight and I know that doesn't mean I can fool around. But her movements are so mesmerizing- strong and swift.

Demons begin to fall left and right, but there are too many for just the two of us. No matter how proud I am of her, right now we need to get out of this bad situation. I grab her by the back of her dress and wrap my arm around her waist. I can then use my flame breathing to create a wall of flames. Unfortunately, it begins to backfire.

"What was that?" Y/N gasps as a loud rumbling noise echoes throughout the cave.

"The cave is about to collapse! Run!" I shout.

Y/N hesitates only for a split second before sheathing her swords and rushing toward the entrance.

Y/N'S P.O.V.

The two of you run for your life to get out of the nest in time before the whole cave collapses. When you spot the edge of the cave, you stop and look back to see Rengoku not too far behind. "Run!" he shouts as he tries to catch up. The entrance is beginning to collapse. You don't think he'll make it in time.

"Kyojuro!" you scream, reaching out your hand to him. He runs as fast as he can toward you, dodging debris and fire. He finally reaches you and grabs your hand. You both rush to the entrance. You're almost there. Just a few more steps. But then, a boulder falls, blocking the path right before your eyes. "Shit," you call out as you're pushed backward and stumble to your knees.

After the noise settles, all you can see is darkness. You can hear the sounds of demons shifting around nearby, but they don't dare to get too close to the pair of you. "Y/N, are you alright?" Rengoku asks as he gets closer and reaches out a hand to you despite the dark.

"Yeah," you answer, being pulled up to your knees. As you stand before him, his warmth and scent fill you with comfort. You lean your forehead against his chest, taking a moment to gather yourself. "Thanks," you mumble into his chest, feeling him rest his chin atop your head.

"That's good," he sighs, his voice softening as he pulls back. "I'll light us a fire so we can see."

"Good idea," you nod, moving aside.

In a few moments, Rengoku creates a small campfire. With the light of the flames, you can see that the cave is completely caved in and you can no longer see the demons. "Looks like we're stuck here," he adds.

"Couldn't you use your fire breathing to do something?" you question him as you look towards where the entrance used to be.

"I could cut through the bolder, you're right," he nods, "but who knows what's waiting on the other side. It could be the only thing keeping us from being squished or eaten."

You let out a heavy sigh. "I can't believe we're trapped in a cave."

"It'll be okay, Y/N," Rengoku chuckles as the two of you sit down together by the small fire.