11. Death

UZUI'S P.O.V.

By the time I am able to meet the girls for dinner, I see everything has gone to shit. Y/N has her head down on the table- she looks like she's about to cry- and Suma is trying to comfort her. Hinatsuru looks at me and shakes her head while Makio can't wipe an angry look off her face.

"What's going on here?" I ask, walking up to the table.

"Makio," Hinatsuru grumbles, "Ruined the night."

"Me?!" Makio gasps. "It was Y/N who wouldn't stop being depressing! Every single time she opened her mouth she was talking about some depressing topic."

"Because I can't stop thinking about it!" Y/N cries, "I can't stop thinking about those kids, or the families like mine who are being ripped apart! Or the ones who aren't so lucky and end up being eaten by demons!"

"That's enough," I sigh, shaking my head. "Go dance. I'm going to talk to Y/N for a bit."

Reluctantly, the three women agree and walk off to the area where the band is playing.

"What's going on with you?" I ask her, sliding into the chair across from her.

"I'm sorry," she apologizes, wiping her eyes. "It's just... This is the first time I've been to a place like this. Has the world always been like this? With people so happy while the rest of the world suffering? It feels so wrong."

"It is," I nod, agreeing with her, "but you don't need to feel guilty just because you're having a fun night, Y/N. You're allowed to relax."

"I know, I know. You're right," she nods, looking at the empty spot at the table. "But how can I when I know everything that's going on?"

I sigh. I suppose I should have talked to her about this sooner. It's not the first time I've had a demon slayer struggle with the same thoughts and emotions.

"Y/N," I begin, and she looks up at me. Her eyes are watery, and her cheeks are flushed. "Neither of us can change the whole world, but I would at least like to try to make the people around me happy... To make you happy."

Her eyes widen and she looks completely shocked by my words.

"You don't think it will be completely selfish of me to have a good time while the rest of the world suffers?" she asks, a tear rolling down her cheek.

"No," I shake my head. "The way I see it, if you don't learn to have fun once in a while, you'll never survive. You don't have to be perfect all the time, Y/N. And the world is full of suffering. It's only manageable to help those around us feel better. You'll get tired and weak otherwise."

"Thank you, Master Uzui," she nods before taking in a deep breath. "I suppose I owe Makio an apology for bringing down the mood."

"She'll get over it. She's just upset that you aren't having a good time like she thought you would. But she does care about you, Y/N," I tell her. "All of them do."

"I know," she nods.

"Well, why don't we start having some fun, huh?" I say, standing up and holding out my hand for her to take. "Let's go dance."

She hesitates for a moment, but then, with a small smile on her face, she reaches her hand out and takes mine.

"Okay," she says, following behind me.

I lead her over to where the band is playing and gently place my hand on her back. "Forget about the bad stuff. Just enjoy the good right now," I whisper to her.

She nods slowly, and we begin to dance.

As we move together, her arms wrap around my neck and my hand slips lower down her back. Our eyes meet, and I feel something different in the air between us. She bites her cheek and looks away.

Suddenly, I'm reminded of when she first arrived at my estate. Suma was so protective of her, refused to leave her side. And when Hinatsuru asked me what my plans were with her I nearly choked. Now, here I am, dancing with the very girl I was trying my best not to get close to.

When I snap out of my thoughts, I look over and see Makio dancing with Suma while Hinatsuru downs another glass of what appears to be champagne.

"Master Uzui," Y/N suddenly calls to me as she takes a step back and stops dancing. I look at her worriedly, hoping she's not still feeling upset.

"Yes?"

"Thank you for being kind to me and taking me in. I really appreciate all you have done to help me these past months.

I look into her eyes and can tell that she's sincere.

"Of course," I nod.

"And I'm sorry that I keep messing up," she says, and her voice trembles. "I just really want this to work out because of my-"

When she stops her sentence mid-way, my curiosity piques. I'm about to ask her to finish her sentence when I notice her eyes drift away. When I follow her gaze, I see her looking at Suma who's still dancing with Hinatsuru and Makio.

"There's something I have to tell you, Master Uzui, and I don't think you're going to like it," Y/N says, looking back up at me.

"What is it, Y/N?"

She swallows nervously, and then begins, "Well, I'm not sure if here is a good place to talk about it..."

Before she can continue, I grab her by her arm and pull her out the back door and into an alley.

"Y/N, I swear if something's been going on behind my back-"

"It's not that, Master Uzui, I promise," she says.

"Then what is it? What's the problem? Are you sick? Injured? Is there something I can do?"

Y/N looks up at me and gulps. I don't think I've ever seen her this nervous before. "The thing is..."