begin again

-now playing "Begin Again (Taylor's Version)" by Taylor Swift-

Cove knew it was her time. It had happened to all of her sisters in their reaping age, and now it was up to her to continue the legacy that her oldest sister had started.

Pearl, the oldest and the strictest, was adamant how all of them would win to bring honor onto their family. Pearl had won the 60th Games, starting an evil tradition that would cause arguments. After her Games, she decided that all of the sisters would become Victors, hoping for a better life for her family so they didn't have to live off what they could get at the Marina Market.

Wavie, the second oldest and Victor of the 61st Games, was against it at first. She thought that it should be a choice, until she eventually sided with Pearl, hoping to get fame and fortune.

Crest seemed like the only reasonable one, she had always been the most stubborn and headstrong. Crest argued that there was a chance that they could die in the Games, and it would be their fault for sending in the youngest sisters and causing their death, even if they had been training from a young age. Though, it seemed Pearl had won, like she always did, because when the 62nd Games came around, Crest still volunteered with a fake smile plastered on her face as she walked up the steps onto the stage. After returning from her games, Crest was quieter, just sticking to glares and silent laughs when it came to Pearl's stupid tradition.

Marina was excited. She always went around saying it was a blessing to be able to volunteer and represent District Four. This gained a couple side eyes from everyone, even Pearl. Though, everything changed with the 64th games. Coral's Games.

Growing up with Coral Alora as your twin was challenging. Everything became a competition between the twins, even if Cove Alora didn't know. Coral was always the mean twin. She was loud, arrogant, and adamant about winning her Games when it became her turn. She declared that she would volunteer first before Cove, making that a competition as well. She was bloodthirsty and that hunger couldn't be satiated until she stepped foot into the arena that she would call her new home for about two weeks.

Coral had sat Cove down on the eve before the 64th Annual Reaping stating, "Look Cove, we are opposites. You are sunshine and I am midnight rain. I will win my Games brutally with bloodshed, and you will win yours by coincidental luck. I don't know how we are twins when we are so different." Cove took this as a sign to back off and not volunteer tomorrow as she didn't want to cause an argument that would end in her crying and Coral smiling.

Cove was called different by everyone. She was the kind one, the polite one, the quiet one, the innocent one, the lucky one. Every person in District Four knew of the Alora Family, hell, even everyone in the Capitol knows the Alora Family because of how they volunteered and won every year. But everyone in District Four swore there was something different about Cove, something human.

She wasn't like her sisters, eager to volunteer and win in the name of honor, she helped others and did it with a smile. The only thing Cove was looking forward to volunteering for was at the Marina Market and helping Mr. Reef sell his catch of the day. So, you can tell that it wasn't much of a shock when Cove was quiet and kept her head down as Coral boasted that she volunteered even before a name was drawn from the glass bowl. Saying goodbye to Coral was hard for Cove, she had an unsettling feeling in the pit of her stomach as she was watching Coral speak to Pearl. 

Call it a weird twin connection, but Cove had a horrible thought that this would somehow be the last time she would see her sister. She tried warning Coral, but it was quickly brushed off by everyone. Cove made sure that she hugged her sister extra tight and held her face longer to memorize her features, just in case.