girl with one eye

-now playing "Girl with One Eye" by
Florence + the Machine-

Cove Odair was enthralled with this year's Hunger Games. Normally the nineteen-year-old would shy away from the brutality of the games, still not used to seeing children die year after year, but this year, something was different. Or someone was different.

The 71st Hunger Games started out like no other. Finnick and Cove thankfully got a break from mentoring that year, with Marina and Wavie taking a turn. The President graciously didn't allow Annie to be a mentor yet, the girl still suffering from her win a year before.

Twenty-year-old Finnick Odair was curled almost protectively around his wife on their shared white couch, both focused on the battle before them on the screen. Surprisingly, the girl fighting, and winning, was not who they had bet would win that year. Cove watched as the girl on screen viciously tore into that year's Career pack, wielding a small axe that reminded her of a familiar raven-haired friend.

The girl on screen was a seventeen-year-old from District Seven, Mossi mentoring this year, and it seemed as though the tribute had taken a page out of Cove's book. "A wolf in sheep's clothing" is what they called her, Johanna Mason. Johanna had acted meek and fearful until now, a surprise twist no one saw coming.

Cove could almost imagine the steam coming out of Wavie's ears as Johanna quickly tore through this year's tributes from District Four.

"Wonder how Mossi's handling things at the Capitol right now," the platinum blonde whispered into her husband's ear as she watched mesmerized by the bloodbath.

"She's got Colt with her, he didn't want to leave until they were both able to, something about not wanting to leave her alone with the Elites," Finnick whispered back, him too staring into the screen as if he was hypnotized.

The two Odairs watched as Johanna went from hunted to the hunter, tracking down the final tributes with a blood-coated frown engraved on her face. Covered in a light blue woven blanket Finnick had chosen out from one of their dates at the Marina Markets, Cove rested her head against her husband's chest as they watched how the games would end.

Cove had almost fallen asleep, listening to the sound of Finnick's heartbeat, until their front door slammed open.

"Are you seeing what's happening right now?" Koi asked as she walked into the couple's living room, bringing a wine bottle and bag of chips with her. She leaned down, pressing a motherly kiss on both of the Odair's heads.

"mhm," Cove groaned absentmindedly, barely awake.

"Guaranteed the Capitol is going insane right now. Johanna pulled a Cove, but this time no one had a clue what she was capable of. Mossi and Blight are probably the center of attention, everyone will be wondering how they trained her," Koi said, gulping down her wine as she watched the screen from the opposite side of the grand couch.

"I'm glad Colt's with her then," Finnick said, rubbing Cove's back to try to put her asleep easier.

Then, the door slammed open again, this time Pearl and Crest storming into the house, both bringing an appetizer of some sort with them.

"I brought spinach and artichoke dip with pita bread," Pearl smiled as she walked straight to the living room and sat beside Koi, putting her dip on the table beside Koi's chip bag.

"Have you guys seen this shit? This has to be the most interesting games since you, Cove," Crest laughed, throwing the food she brought on the table before sitting between Crest and Cove, the youngest laying on top of her husband still.

"Language," Pearl immediately scolded Crest, unwrapping the dish that was thrown on the table to reveal that Crest had brought buffalo chicken dip.

"Did we plan some party that Cove and I happened to forget about?" Finnick asked, looking at the other three women that now packed his couch.