cowboy like me

-now playing "cowboy like me" by Taylor Swift-

Cove Alora was terrified for her first time mentoring. Her year anniversary of winning her Games had arrived, leaving her only fifteen and Finnick only sixteen. When it was announced what Victors would be mentors for their districts, Cove wasn't that surprised that her and Finnick were chosen to represent their District, Snow always kept a close eye on the two.

The morning of the reaping was dreary. A big storm had rolled in the previous night, the oceans wreaking havoc and rain drops hammering on roofs. Cove had been staying and sleeping mostly in Finnick's home, it being a routine ever since she had come back to District Four. It was the only way she wouldn't hear voices from her Games or flashes of Rush at every corner she turned. She wasn't even sure what to do with her home in Victor's Village, she had never stayed a night in it anyways. If she wasn't at Finnick's home, she was at Pearl's or Crest's, never liking to be left alone in her mind.

Finnick had woken the girl up early, wanting to stop at the local bakery before heading to the city hall, trying to brighten up their day at least a bit with a sweet pastry. Cove had picked out a flowy light blue dress that had a strip of lace at the stomach, paired with one of Finnick's oversized white cardigans, protecting her from the wind. Finnick had worn a white sweater with some dress pants, both of the kids wearing pairs of white converses.

The duo had stopped by the local bakery right as it opened, glad to see it remained unharmed from the rough storm. The bakery could only be open for an hour before everyone had to collect at the city hall for the reaping, and the two were happy to not see a long line. They chatted with the owner; a nice older woman who had watched the kids grow up around the district, having five of her own.

"Bring us another Victor this year, yeah? District Four is apparently almost replacing District Two for most Victors," the owner's husband hoarsely laughed, brushing his hands on his white apron before turning around and yelling at his children that they had to leave soon to go to the reaping. The owner gave the kids a sympathetic look before turning to deal with her husband. Finnick and Cove glanced at each other briefly before walking out.

.

.

.

The walk to the city hall was quiet, Finnick keeping a hand on the girls back, only letting go when Peacekeepers had to search them for any dangerous weapons. They then walked into the large building, noticing the other Victors gathered around, not a smile in sight.

"Hey Cove," Pearl smiled softly, hugging her sister tightly before holding her face, "feeling okay?"

"Yeah, just nervous," the youngest smiled to her older sister, who she had grown closer to.

"Don't be. Everything should go smoothly, just train them how we trained you," Pearl told her sister, still holding the girl in her arms.

"I trained for half of my life, not a lot of kids have that advantage," Cove mumbled, hating that she had to have a role in the killing of twenty three kids.

"Just don't get attached. The first one is always rough, but it gets easier," Crest added bluntly, jumping into the conversation, not wanting to sugar-coat it.

Cove looked horrified at her sisters advice, leaving Finnick to immediately jump in.

"Okay, lets just all relax. I'll be with you Cove; we'll deal with everything as it comes. We can only mentor them as best as we can, it's not our fault what happens in the games," Finnick reminded his girlfriend, rubbing her back softly, trying to comfort her.

"And you should be grateful, Cove. This is a great opportunity to represent our district and the Capitol!" Marina added into the conversation, smiling at her youngest sister.