crawling out of the grave

-now playing "Work Song" by Hozier-

In a strange sort of way, Cove Odair felt like she could breathe as soon as her body dived into the water. With Luna's death fresh on her mind and the adrenaline coursing through her system, the blonde felt like her body was on autopilot. As Cove climbed on top of the black rocky pathways, she looked around as she sprinted forward, seeing how it looked as if she was the first one that was nearing the Cornucopia.

The blonde woman took a second to steady her breathing as she slung the katana, that she had her eyes on, around her back, unsheathing the weapon and holding it in front of her. Cove turned around, coming face to face with Gloss, the larger man holding a knife.

"You should just come with us, Odair," the blonde man said, eyes scanning Cove's tense body and the way she expertly held her sword.

"Where's the fun in that?" Cove said back, tilting her head a bit, tightening her grip on her sword.

Gloss seemed to realize he wasn't ready to take on the blonde woman, either he knew how skilled she was with the sword and didn't want to risk getting hurt so soon, or he had something planned up his sleeve that he was saving for later. So, the man just threw Cove one more glare before sprinting off. 

When her mind finally cleared from the adrenaline laced fog, she noticed Johanna a few feet away from her. Cove ran to her friend, cannon booms echoing around as screams pierced the air.

"Cove, come on, we got to move," Johanna urged the blonde as soon as she saw the Odair woman, reaching for her wrist.

"No, find Colt and take Wiress and Beetee with you. I'll find Finnick and take Peeta and Katniss. It'll be better to split up right now, separate the Careers as much as we can," Cove said quickly, patting the raven-haired girl on her back before looking back in the direction where she last saw Peeta.

Her eyes scanned the surrounding, some bodies already floating in the water, as she noticed a District Five tribute fighting with Peeta in the water, trying to drown him.

"Fuck," Cove muttered to herself, quickly throwing her katana on the ground, deciding it would be too heavy to swim with, and grabbed a small throwing knife that rested against a box near her, before diving back in the water. 

.

.

.

"Katniss! Peeta's over here in the water with another tribute," Finnick called for the brunette girl who had just shot an arrow towards Enobaria.

The archer quickly followed the older man, both sprinting and watching as a smaller body dove into the water heading towards Peeta and the other tribute. Katniss immediately loaded her bow, pointing an arrow towards the smaller body, before Finnick jerked the arrow down.

"That's Cove, I would know her body anywhere," the blonde man said, getting ready to dive into the water after her.

"Then she can handle it, you wouldn't reach them in time, any way" Katniss breathed, keeping her hands on her bow as she watched Cove swim towards the fighting boys, before all three went under water.

.

.

.

Cove felt instant nostalgia as she dragged the District Five tribute off of Peeta and pulled him under the water. In her mind, she was instantly transported back to when she fought with Lux, the crimson water still haunting her dreams sometimes.

She focused in on the larger man, seeing his eyes widen as he realized who she was. Cove grabbed the knife that was strapped to her thigh before slamming it into his ribcage. The girl forced herself to zone out, not wanting to traumatize herself even more by watching the light fade from the man's eyes.