memories

-now playing "Memories" by Conan Gray-

Cove Odair watches from across the training center as Peeta and Katniss walked in, immediately uncomfortable at the sight of another tribute puking from the amount of alcohol they had consumed previously.

The blonde then watched as the teens saw Cashmere and Gloss throwing knives and Johanna throw her axe around, everyone trying to intimidate each other.

Cove rolled her eyes at that. Everyone already knew each other and how they fought, why waste time trying to practically show off? Plus, showing all of your tricks now wasn't smart considering your opponent would already know what you were doing before you could try.

The blonde woman's eyes then flickered over to where Colt was throwing his pitchfork, Finnick beside him throwing a trident at glowing orange hologram targets.

Cove Odair was an observer.

That skill came in handy in her first Games, keeping to herself and not revealing any secrets gave her the leg up. This time was harder considering people now knew she could fight, manipulate, and change the courses of the Games in a single move.

As Cove started thinking more about what her gameplay would be this time around, trying to occupy her mind as she messed with some of the trinkets at the hook station she stood at, Katniss Everdeen walked towards her.

"I think we got off on the wrong foot," the brunette said, a soft smile gracing her face as she walked up to the older blonde.

Cove Odair immediately snapped out of her head, hazel meeting blue-grey, as she looked up at the sound of the teen's voice.

"Haymitch probably yelled at you last night, huh?" Cove joked, fingers still messing with a feather on the hook in front of her.

"No, he knows better than to try to control my temper," Katniss said back immediately, her tone gentle.

The Odair looked up at her words, smiling at the comment, "Your sharp tongue will get you far, you just have to know when not to use it."

"I am sorry, though," the brunette nodded truthfully, eyes looking over the hook Cove had made.

"Let's call it a truce," Cove smiled at the teen, hands already moving rapidly to make a new hook.

Katniss's eyes watched the woman's skilled hands craft a fishing hook quickly before looking back at the blonde's freckled face, "What you did for that woman was really brave."

Cove stopped, eyes on Katniss, before smiling softly, "I would've done it for any of them, honestly. I just had to come into the Games with Finnick. But you did the same thing I did, I watched you volunteer for that little girl last year."

Katniss nodded, eyes drifting a little as she thought back to the small blonde back in Twelve, "Prim's my sister."

"I have five, I mean, four now," Cove smiled, hands stopping as she thought of Coral.

Katniss didn't mention the small slip up, not wanting to bring up Cove's dead sister, just wanting to change the subject, "If you teach me how to tie a fish hook, I'll teach you how to hunt. Deal?"

The older blonde smiled at the teen's suggestion, even if she already knew how to hunt, "You've got yourself a deal, Girl on Fire."

.

.

.

Cove stood in between Colt and Finnick as everyone watched Katniss easily take down the orange holograms, watching them shatter into blocks. Only now that she was truly focusing did Cove notice that each of the holograms had a specific weapon that matched each tribute's preference. One had a pitchfork, trident, axe, throwing knives, and one even had a katana.