all too well

-now playing "All Too Well (Taylor's Version)" by Taylor Swift-

It was a big day for Panem. Today was the announcement of the twist for the 75th Annual Hunger Games, the Quarter Quell. All of the District Four Victors had agreed to meet at Cove and Finnick's home to watch the announcement, everyone feeling anxious and didn't want to be alone as no one had a clue what to expect.

"How do we always get forced into hosting?" Finnick muttered as he put on a comfortable sweater over his plain white shirt.

"I think it's because our home is the cutest, we should take it as a compliment," Cove replied, putting a white cardigan over her baby pink dress.

Finnick walked behind his wife, putting his arms tightly around her waist from where she stood in front of a long mirror in their bedroom.

"I'm not feeling good about this," Finnick quietly said as he nuzzled his head into Cove's neck, pressing soft kisses onto her shoulder.

"I'm not either. Snow's been too quiet, especially with Katniss and Peeta getting engaged. It only works in his favor that the Quell is this year," Cove mumbled back, turning her head to quickly kiss her husband on the lips.

Finnick was about to respond before he was interrupted by harsh knocks on their front door that echoed from downstairs.

"We need a vacation after this," the man joked before kissing Cove one more time before they walked downstairs and opened the door to the flood of District Four Victors.

.

.

.

"Has anyone heard anything about mentoring this year?" Koi Hydra asked as she sat stoically on the couch along with the rest of the survivors.

"Not yet," Pearl Alora responded from beside the woman, trying her best to relax into her place on the couch, picking at a loose thread on her pants.

"My boyfriend says everyone's on tight lock right now," Marina Alora said, playing with the curls in her hair, no thought in her eyes.

The room went silent at the comment, everyone choosing to keep their mouths shut, not wanting to get into an argument with the delusional Alora sister.

"Anyone need anything to drink?" Cove asked from the kitchen, trying her best to be a good host and wanting to break up the tense moment.

The girl felt a comforting hand on her back, turning around to see Mags smiling softly up at her. The woman then shook her head and pointed to the living room, silently telling the girl to go relax and join her family.

Cove smiled back at the woman softly, the elder somehow always knowing how she felt. Mags had taken both Finnick and herself under her wings, mentoring them and loving them like she was their own grandmother. Sure, Koi had been motherly towards the married couple, but Mags was comforting on an entirely different level.

As Cove and Mags joined the group waiting in the packed living room, Cove quickly pressed a kiss on top of Annie's head as she passed the girl. No matter if they were the same age, Cove still thought of her as a younger sister.

Finnick smiled, his shoulders instantly shifting down in relief as he saw his wife. The older Odair pulled the girl onto his lap comfortably, ignoring the glare from Wavie.

Said Alora still had a problem with Cove, claiming Cove had embarrassed them when she was a child before her games, therefor Finnick made it his responsibility to have a problem with Wavie right back. Even though Cove had a now healthier relationship with Pearl, Wavie still refused to follow suit. Both Marina and Wavie were adamant that the games were always a show of honor and pride, not a way of murdering kids.