we are not the same

-now playing "Family Line" by Conan Gray-

Cove Alora had an eventful couple months. After her deal with President Snow, Finnick had made it his own personal mission to train her so that there was no way she wouldn't come home to him. Every day for the past 9 months, Finnick would barge into Pearl's house and go straight to Cove's room, slamming the door open and waking the girl up so early that the dark of the night had not bled into a bright morning yet.

Cove had been staying back at Pearl's house. She had yet to forgive her older sister for the years of torment, and for the upcoming years of torment, and she didn't know if she ever could, but Pearl was more kind and it was a start.

Cove would groan and throw her pillows at Finnick whenever he barged into her room, throwing the covers off of her. "Finnick, are you kidding me right now?" Cove groaned as she looked at her bedside clock, "it's only five in the morning!" she screamed.

Finnick laughed as he looked down at the girl, spotting her wearing the shirt he had been looking for for months. "Cove the faster you get up, the more quickly we can get through training," the boy said sitting down beside the tired girl, pushing the hair out of her face so he could see her better. "And, the faster we can celebrate your fourteenth birthday," Finnick added, stroking her hair.

Cove just groaned and rolled over to her other side. She felt more than prepared for the upcoming games, combined with the training she has had all her life and the hardcore training Finnick had put her through the past couple months, she felt prepared for any situation in any environment. "The best birthday gift you could give me is sleep," she mumbled into her pillow, "and to skip a day of training," she added.

Cove and Finnick were only the same age for about a month, her being born 11 months after him, meaning he would turn a year older in one month, becoming fifteen.

Finnick looked down at the tired girl and sighed, giving into her, like he usually does. "Alright fine, but at least move over," he said, pushing her over gently, making enough room for him.

Cove immediately laughed as she rolled back on top of the boy, looking up at him. "You know I'm really going to miss these moments with you when I'm reaped in two months," she sighed quietly, playing with the strands of his hair.

Finnick immediately gripped her waist tight, warningly, "Don't talk about that Cove, you'll be fine and you'll be back home in no time," he said, talking about her in the arena tasting bitter in his mouth.

Cove just nodded as she settled back down, laying her head and arm on his chest. Cove knew Finnick dreaded the day that either her name be called or she raises her hand in volunteer. Finnick didn't like the fact that he couldn't protect his girl, ever since he had met her he had always felt a need to protect her from the dangers of the world. Since coming back from his games, Finnick knew how easily they would traumatize and change who you are, and who is around you. The boy had already lost his family, with them seeing him as a cold-hearted murderer, and Finnick would not lose Cove either. Finnick dreaded how different Cove could be when she returned. Would she talk to him? Would she still like him? What if she wasn't bright and bubbly anymore? Would she go insane? What if she had the nightmares? What if she didn't live? But Finnick couldn't focus on that, for he had to focus on the girl that laid on top of him and how she was fine right now. He would help her through the troubles that come with being a victor after she came back home, to his arms.

"What's going on up there?" Cove whispered as she tapped Finnick's head in the dark.

Finnick looked down at her, making out her features in the dark. "Nothing you should worry about," he assured as he smiled sweetly at her.