the realization of feeling different

-now playing "I know it won't work" by Gracie Abrams-

Cove Odair stood still in front of a large mirror in a small dressing room behind the main stage for interviews at the Capitol. Luna St. Claire had dressed her in a baby blue glitter mermaid styled dress, with a corset made of netting at the top, reminding her of her Chariot Parade outfit.

"How do you feel?" the platinum blonde with glowing cat eyes asked, eyes raking down the Odair woman's figure.

"Fine," is all the tribute said, looking at the pearl jewelry around her neck and dangling from her ears.

"Interested in what your husband's wearing?" Luna tried to joke.

Cove just hummed, too in her head to hear the woman, only looking up when she heard Finnick be introduced on screen from the small television in the room. Her husband, wearing an outfit that made him look like a pirate, still somehow looked divine. As Cove watched Caesar ask the blonde male his usual questions, something caught Cove's eye, his necklace.

Around his neck was the braided string necklace Cove had made him for his birthday all those years ago when they were children, back when Finnick still sold things at the Marina Markets for money.

Cove let out a small gasp, one hand going over her mouth and the other over her stomach.

"He still has it?" she whispered to herself.

"He insisted on wearing it," Luna nodded, rubbing Cove's arms to give her some sort of comfort.

Cove's gaze remained on the screen, clear tears gracing her waterline as she looked at her soulmate on screen.

"Finnick, I understand you have a message out there for somebody, a special somebody," Caesar says before adding, "can we hear it?"

The man's glittered eyes flickered with interest, looking for something to brighten up the night from the other sad and angry interviews with the other tributes he had before.

Finnick huffs a small laugh before turning serious and staring into the camera, almost as if he was trying to connect to his wife's soul, "My love, you have my heart for all eternity. And if- if I die in that arena, my last thought would be of your lips."

Cove listened to the crowd roar, people fainting as if he was speaking directly to them, tears sliding down her cheeks.

"You've got a tough act to follow," her stylist laughed hoarsely as if she was stopping herself from crying, "oh and here, put this in your pocket and read it later," Luna suddenly whispered seriously.

"What-" Cove was about to ask before someone with a headset walked into the room interrupting her, "Cove Odair is on in 3."

Cove instantly shoved her note into her dress' pocket before looking over at herself in the mirror again, looking at the long blonde hair she had grown out over the years, not once cutting it since her Games.

She remembered how short her hair was her first time in the arena, and something clicked in her mind.

"Where are your scissors?"

.

.

.

Finnick Odair stood on the stage beside the other Victors, now tributes, who had finished their interviews, eagerly waiting to see his wife's arrival. Caesar bounced around on stage, trying to make the audience stop screaming at him over the past interviews.

"Up next we have one of my personal favorite Victors, don't tell anyone I said that," Caesar laughed into the microphone before continuing, "We have seen her grow up, blossoming from a family of Victors. The astonishing, the beautiful, Cove Odair!"