red rain

-now playing "Red (Taylor's Version)" by Taylor Swift

All Finnick Odair could feel was blistering heat as Peeta Mellark and Katniss Everdeen gently pushed his body beneath the water in a small watering hole amidst the jungle. The two teens gently rubbed water onto his white blisters, watching as they immediately dissolved, turning the water below the man a milky white.

"We need our weapons," Katniss directed Peeta, still gently wiping Finnick's skin.

The blonde teen boy immediately left the two, searching for their abandoned weapons that were scattered around from their fall down the rough hill. As Finnick finally settled down, the pain finally starting to go away, his mind immediately went to his wife.

"Cove," the man croaked out, pushing the brunette teen away from him gently as he tried to stand.

Katniss immediately remembered that they were missing an ally, looking around for the blonde woman as she stood, searching for any hint of her short blonde hair.

"Cove!" Katniss yelled, beginning to search all around the foot on the hill that they had tumbled down.

"Covey!" Finnick screamed, hyperventilating as he rapidly whipped his head around in all directions, listening for any sound that could have come from his wife.

The Odair man was about to walk back up the hill, before a hand jerked his bicep, pulling him back.

"What do you think you're doing? The fog is still up there," Peeta asked, the teen looking at the thick fog above them, keeping his hand on Finnick's arm.

"My wife could be up there," Finnick immediately rushed out, eyes wide as adrenaline coursed through his veins.

"If Cove was up there, she would be dead," Katniss jumped in bluntly, heavily breathing as she had just come back from searching the nearby area for any sign of the blonde woman.

Finnick immediately shoved Peeta down on the ground at her words, snatching his trident up from the ground before rapidly trying to climb back up the vine-covered hill. Katniss immediately grabbed his wrist, forcing him to look back at her.

"You didn't let me finish. If Cove was still up there, she would be dead, but there was no cannon. I searched the entire parameter of where she could have fallen and there was no sign.  Cove isn't dead, she's probably just in a different part of the arena," the brunette teen corrected her interrupted statement.

Finnick glared back at the young girl, anger coursing through his veins at the thought of her being by herself, especially so injured, "She needs me."

"How are you going to help her if you can't even think straight? We need to gather our surroundings before randomly sprinting through the jungle again, look where that ended us at last time," Katniss snapped at him, trying to calm him down.

After a heated moment, Finnick stormed off, sitting back by the pond as he tried to calm down. Peeta and Katniss shared a concerned look before Katniss sat beside Finnick, leaving Peeta to search around the new part of the arena that they fell into.

"I'm sorry about Cove," Katniss said softly to the man, watching as he scrubbed any remaining blisters off of his skin.

Finnick stared at the water for a second before replying, "She's strong and can handle herself. There was no cannon so she's alive out there somewhere. Plus, a lot of people wanted her as an ally, so if someone found her, they're probably trying to help her."

Katniss was about to respond until she noticed Finnick straighten his back, suddenly staring behind her. The District Twelve tribute looked behind her slowly, noticing large monkeys gathering behind her. More and more seemed to appear around the two, snarling and growling. Finnick immediately grabbed his trident carefully, preparing for a fight.