counting crimes

-now playing "counting crimes" by Nessa Barrett-

Today was the day Cove Alora had been waiting for all of her life. It was reaping day, more specifically, her reaping day. This would be mean that all of her hard training with Finnick the past couple of months had finally paid off.

Cove hadn't slept the night before her reaping, she knew she should've because she probably wouldn't be able to sleep in the arena, but she just couldn't. She tossed and turned all night, staring at her ceiling until Pearl opened her bedroom door.

"Hey Cove, how are you feeling?" her older sister asked as she opened up her window's blinds, letting the sunlight infiltrate the room.

"Fine, I mean, a little numb to it, if that makes sense," Cove had tried to explain. She didn't feel scared, she didn't feel worried or anxious, she just felt nothing about it. Kind of like she had already processed all of her other emotions and was left to rot with nothing to feel.

"Yeah, that's how we all felt on our day. I think it's because you already experienced the anger, sadness, and anxiety. And probably because you already know that you'll be volunteering, so there's no need to worry about if you'll be chosen or not," Pearl said softly to the girl, sitting on her bed, pushing back her hair. "I also think it means you are ready," the eldest added as she stared at the girl, an unfamiliar look in her eyes.

Cove just nodded silently, still feeling odd about her sister being semi-nice to her. She was ready for Pearl to start laughing in her face, screaming about victory and honor.

"So, did you pick out what I am wearing?" Cove asked shyly as she rose out of her bed.

"No, I thought this time you could wear whatever you like," Pearl said, opening up Cove's closet and examining the millions of short dresses.

Cove nodded as she went around Pearl and stared at her clothes, until she saw the one. "I'm going to wear this one," Cove said firmly as she grabbed a light blue dress. Finnick had bought it for her a couple weeks ago on his birthday, saying her happiness was enough of a present to him already. Cove had rolled her eyes at that, still giving the boy his gift from her, an engraved trident necklace.

"You'll look beautiful, Cove," Pearl said, putting her hands on Cove's shoulders as they both stared in the long mirror, "I will leave you to it, then. All of us will meet you at the city hall, we have to get there early for the Victor's lineup."

As Pearl turned to leave, Cove tugged her wrist and pulled her back. "Will you help me with my hair?" Cove asked her older sister gently as she looked up to her. Pearl just nodded and smiled at her lightly.

Pearl had sat her younger sister in front of her as she lightly braided the hair in front of her face. "You know, you look just like mom. More than any of us," she lightly laughed as she stared at Cove in the mirror, almost analyzing every freckle on her face.

"It's kind of hard to remember what she looked like, what she sounded like," Cove said, as she looked down.

"Well, if you ever need a reminder, just look in the mirror. It's almost scary how alike you both are. She was gentle, kind, and always a little too cautious. Just like you," Pearl said softly, thinking of her mother.

.

.

.

The walk to the city hall was long for Cove. She was alone with her mind again, but she tried to focus on the people she was passing. She saw different emotions. Worry, fear, joy, confidence. They were on different children's faces. If only they knew she was going to volunteer, mothers wouldn't have to worry about their daughters that year.