Chapter 21: Old Soul*

Practically all of December, and the end of November, Spencer and I have been trying for a baby every night he was home and not on a case. I know it probably won't take very fast. I had some bleeding the week after Thanksgiving, but I don't know if that was withdrawal bleeding from stopping my birth control shot or if it was a period. I've been very irregular with my period ever since the IUD was ripped from my body earlier this year.
        I think Spencer has been looking forward to cases the last few weeks, so that he can have a reprieve from trying to get me pregnant. I don't know where he is, but I do know he's in the central time zone. When he leaves on cases now, he turns off his location on everything so that this stalker loses his scent and can't find him. We haven't gotten any threats or pictures left anywhere that we know of, so hopefully our efforts are working. It's the 19th of December now and Killian and Jack are coming to have a sleepover after I finish up packing.
       Most of the time while there's been cases, Killian or Alison or Penelope or somebody has come to stay overnight most nights or come first thing in the morning. I think it's more to prove that there isn't a dependable routine, but I'm not here alone 24/7 when Spencer is gone. There is always a detail outside which almost feels ridiculous at this point. I decide before they get here, I'm going to quickly take a pregnancy test just to see if our efforts are working or not. I know it's really really early, but I want to have some peace of mind. I've been stocking up on tests to keep at home while we try for a baby that I'm just going to keep in the bathroom so we don't have to pick one up all the time.
        I go through the motions, pee in a cup, stick the stick in the cup, set it down and set a timer. I sit on the floor and watch Tik Tok on my phone until the timer goes off. I take a deep breath and stand, looking at the test. It reads "not pregnant" and I feel myself tear up in disappointment. I tell myself that I knew it was most likely going to be negative. That doesn't mean it won't happen soon. After a few minutes of unsuccessful attempts to cheer myself up, I decide to FaceTime Spencer. He answers on the 4th ring, a concerned Spencer popping up on the other end.
        He asks me "is everything okay?" I nod and tell him "yeah, I just took a test and it's negative. I'm a little disappointed is all." He gives me an understanding expression, but still tells me "baby, we've only been trying for a little over 3 weeks. It might take a while." I nod "I know that, I'm just excited." He gives me a sad and understanding smile and nods "I know, baby, I am, too. Hey, but don't take any more tests without me, okay? I want to be there with you when you find out." I nod "okay, I'm sorry, I should've thought about that." He shakes his head "no it's okay, we hadn't talked about it."
       There's a comfortable silence for just a second when he asks "are Killian and Jack coming over soon?" I nod "yeah, everything is ready. I'm getting packed to leave for Vegas when you get back. Do you think you'll be back in time?" He nods "I think we are pretty close to wrapping up this case, so I think we will be headed back tomorrow sometime. If not, I'll be catching a commercial flight back." I nod "okay, get back to work, bubs. I love you, Spencer." He gives me a sweet smile "I love you, too, Annie." He hangs up the phone and I take some deep breaths, still a little overwhelmed and disappointed.
       I quickly clean up the bathroom and get everything thrown away in a concealed manner so that Killian won't find it and start asking questions. I really can't handle the third degree from her right now. I continue packing and cleaning up the house and such until I get a text from Killian that they will be here shortly. I also pack for Spencer a little bit, little things I know he will want like some comfortable clothes for the hotel and pajamas and stuff. While we stay at a hotel in Vegas it should be easy for us to keep trying, but when we stay with my parents it may be more difficult. We are married now, but I don't think my parents really want us screwing in their house at any point. It is a little too late for that, but I still don't need to bank on there being many, if any, opportunities for that.
         I hear a knock on the door and realize time has flown while I was in my head. I go open the door and happily greet Killian and Jack. Jack runs into my arms happily and I laugh as I greet him. He smiles up at me and asks me "Aunt Annie, why are you sad?" I smile and tell him "I'm not sad, I just miss your Uncle Spencer." He nods understandingly "I miss him, too." I look up at Killian who is eyeing me warily. She tells Jack "why don't you go play with some of the toys you brought on the carpet in front of the tv, bud?" He smiles and nods, running off.
She looks at me and asks me "what's wrong?" I tell her "I'm just stressed about this stalker stuff. I had really hoped it would've been resolved before Christmas, especially before we travel across the country and back." She nods and gives me a hug, I take a deep breath, thankful she didn't detect my omission. She tells me "why don't we order pizza and bake cookies? I brought cookie dough! And then we can watch Christmas movies together." I smile and nod "that sounds amazing."