Chapter 7: Peace Out

Panic. All three of us are trained medical professionals, but for the first minute or two of realizing Alison is in labor we were all brainless idiots. After we quit screaming with a combination of excitement and terror, Killian says "we need to get you to the hospital! Come on, I'll drive!" I stand and move over to Alison to help her get from the nursery to the car. I ask her "do you have a hospital bag packed?" She nods and says "yes it's by the garage door. The car seat isn't in the car yet, but Luke can get it when he gets back. Holy shit, what if he doesn't get back in time!?"
My heart lurches for her but I try my best to shake my head and not show the fear of her husband missing the birth of their first child. I tell her "he's going to make it, Killian will call him." Killian shouts from somewhere in the house "dialing now!" I sigh and tell her "see, he's going to make it in time! Babies take a while most of the time, it's gonna be okay, you haven't even started having contractions yet." She nods and says "okay, yeah, you're right." We have made it halfway to the kitchen when Alison cries out in pain and grabs my hand, gripping it so tightly my fingers start to turn red and it hurts me like crazy. I know what I'm feeling is a fraction of what she's feeling so I just say nothing and try to keep her from falling to the floor.
Killian walks in and says "you're moving fast, we need to go." Alison asks "what about Luke?" Killian nods "he's on his way back and he will meet us at the hospital when he gets in, okay? Until he gets here we aren't leaving your side, sweetie." She nods and breathes out, finally letting out a breath and releasing her harsh grip on my hand at the same time. Killian helps me walk her to the car and we get her safely and as comfortably as possible in the back seat of the car. Once the door is shut, Killian turns to me and whispers "I couldn't get a hold of Luke. I left a message and texted him, but I didn't hear back."
I'm confused and ask her "you just lied to a woman in labor?" Killian sighs "not really, he's on his way and he will hopefully meet us at the hospital. I just didn't talk to him directly. Do you want to tell her her husband might miss the birth of their child?" I blink twice and then shake my head. Killian nods emphatically "that's exactly what I thought, now get in the car with her and I'll drive." I nod and walk around the car with her and get in the back seat with Alison. She's breathing heavily and I can already see a sheen of sweat glistening on her forehead. As soon as I get buckled, Killian is peeling out of there.
          Alison is screaming and crying through the contractions, they're getting closer together. Killian reaches in her glove compartment and hands me germ x and some gloves in a sterile pack. She tells me "germ x your hands really well and put gloves on and check how dilated she is." I ask her "why do you have gloves in your car?" She says "I'm a nurse and medical emergencies can pop up whenever, like this. I like to be prepared to help. It's called a glove compartment for a reason, Annie." I nod, sounds like her. I put the gloves on and give Alison an apologetic look. She nods and says "might as well, as long as this baby and I make it out safely then I don't give a flying fuck who examines me." I take a deep breath and mentally prepare myself. I've never stuck my fingers in another woman's vagina before, let alone my closest colleague and friend's vagina.
         It's now or never. I help her get her yoga pants pulled down and follow Killian's instructions in order to check how many centimeters dilated Alison is. I think I have a pretty good understanding of how far apart my fingers are and show Killian with my other hand "they're about this far apart." Killian nods "that's about 4 centimeters. She's moving pretty fast." Alison says "I was having pains during dinner but I just thought it was heart burn or Braxton Hicks. I've been having false contractions for the past month, but they didn't hurt this bad." Killian's and my eyes widen and we ask her practically in unison "what?!" She nods and says "when my water broke I knew for sure, though!" Killian sighs in exasperation and continues driving like she's driving in the Indy 500.
          I ask Killian "why didn't you ride in the back with her to do all your nurse things?" Killian sighs "you aren't covered on my car insurance and I knew this would be one of the riskiest drives of our lives." I nod and continue holding Alison's hand. I tell Alison "well it looks like the chorizo worked though, didn't it?" Alison starts laughing "I didn't think it would work quite this fast." Killian pulls up to the emergency room of the hospital and parks in the drop off lane. She tells me "I'll get her in to the emergency room, I can relay the medical stuff better than you can. Park the car and bring in her hospital bag from the trunk please. I'll let you know what room we end up in if they put us in one before you can get inside." I nod and follow my orders from Killian, helping her get Alison out of the car and into a wheel chair.
        I then run around to the drivers seat and drive to find a parking spot, luckily this is the hospital we all work at so I'm able to find my way around easily and find a parking spot quickly before grabbing the hospital bag from the trunk and high tailing it to the emergency room. I walk up and thank the Lord that I recognize the worker at the desk. I tell her "I'm here with Killian and Alison." She nods and tells me "they've already taken her to labor and delivery." I nod and head towards that direction, incredibly thankful I know my way around this hospital. On my way up there I realize my phone is ringing in the elevator. I answer the phone before checking the caller ID, hoping it's Luke.
        I say into the phone "hello?" I then hear Spencer with a mixture of relief and frustration say "oh my God, Annie are you okay?" I nod and say into the phone "yes I'm fine, Spencer." He hardly waits for me to quit speaking before he says "why are you at the hospital? Did you get called in or something?" I shake my head at his overprotective tracking and say "no, Spence, Alison is in labor and we can't get ahold of Luke so Killian and I are with her at the hospital." Spencer sighs an even bigger sigh of relief and then I hear his breathing quicken. He then asks me "you can't get ahold of Luke? Is he on a case?" I nod to no one in particular and say "yeah he's on a case but he's supposed to be coming back now. We told Alison he's on the way which wasn't technically a lie. We need him to get here soon because she's 4 centimeters dilated, I checked her myself."
Spencer nods "if you can make a peace sign with your fingers she's fully dilated." I grimace and say "I'll never look at a peace sign the same way ever again." Spencer chuckles "you're welcome. I'll give Garcia a call and see if she can track down Luke and get him to you guys any quicker than he already is." It's my turn to sigh in relief as I say "thanks, Spence. I love you, be safe." I can hear his smile as he says "I love you, too, and I'll do my best." We hang up the phone and I finally start power walking again to the labor and delivery wing of the hospital.
I don't even check my phone to see if Killian texted me because I can hear Alison's cries of pain once I walk through the doors of the labor and delivery wing. I smile and wave at the nurses working, many of them know who I am because I am often up in this neck of the woods for my NICU babies. They smile and wave back and I walk back to Alison's room. The door is cracked and I knock on the door. Alison nearly screams "that better be my fucking husband!" I timidly walk in and tell her "nope, just me, but I brought your hospital bag." She gives me a somewhat nice smile before her face contorts into an expression of pain. She's standing by the bed in a hospital gown with Killian holding her hand and rubbing her back. That woman was born to be a nurse.
Killian asks her "do you want to lie down?" Alison shakes her head "no, it just doesn't feel natural, standing does." Killian nods "it's different for everybody." Killian looks at me and mouths "Luke?" I shake my head and then mime a phone at my ear and mouth the word "Penelope." Killian nods, looking somewhat relieved by my answer. Alison is none the wiser to our secret conversation and is Lamaze breathing through contractions. She says through gritted teeth "I want that epidural." Killian nods "we've told your nurse that and they're getting the anesthesiologist now. It'll just be a few minutes." Alison angrily says "they need to do it faster." Killian doesn't miss a beat and says "sweetie, they're doing everything they can as fast as they can. You know how hospitals can be." She nods and continues her breathing.
My phone starts ringing and I see Penelope's picture on the screen. I hold up my hand and motion to Killian that I need to take the call and she nods, motioning towards the door with her head. I say "I'm going to go get you some ice chips." Alison nods and I leave, answering the call once I've shut the door. I tell Penelope "please tell me you have good news." She responds happily "mm hmm I do sweet cheeks, he is landing now and he's coming straight from the tarmac to the hospital. I already have the room number pulled for him and he should be there in 20 minutes or less. Probably less." I sigh in relief and tell her "thank you, Pen." She hums and says "no problem at all! How is she doing?"
I tell her with a sarcastic laugh "she's in pain and angry. Maybe Luke being here will help." Penelope laughs "I'm afraid it may have the opposite effect." I'm getting the ice chips in the big cup when I ask her "how is the case going? Is Spencer being safe?" She responds "considering he is in a line of work where he has to carry a gun for the protection of others and himself, yes, he's been very safe." I chuckle "thanks for the sarcasm, Pen." She giggles and says "no problem, Annie. I'll keep you updated if you keep me updated." I nod "as long as you keep my husband safe." She laughs "deal, smell you later." Penelope then ends the call and I laugh to myself all the way back to the hospital room. I knock before I walk in and Alison is angrily pacing the length of the bed with a waddle.
I walk over and hand Killian the ice chips, I'm a little scared of Alison at this point in time so I let her handle this. I tell them both "good news, Luke is on his way from the tarmac as we speak, they just landed." Alison looks livid as she says "they just landed? I thought he landed before we left the house!" I tell her "no, no, we didn't say that. We said he was on his way, and he was!" A contraction rips through Alison as she screams "I'm going to murder all of you when I get my body back!" I take another step back and say a silent prayer for Luke to get here faster in the safest way possible.
        Killian soothingly shushes Alison and says "it'll all be worth it when you have baby Elliot in your arms, sweetie." Alison groans loudly "this is the worst feeling I've ever experienced. I'm going to chop Luke's dick off myself when he gets here." My eyes widen and Killian doesn't look shocked at all. Killian says "Alison, I bet you'll want more babies after Elliot, especially after you see how precious he is. Let's not go cutting off Luke's body parts too soon okay?" I hear a voice behind me then who says "why are we cutting off my body parts?" Alison looks up and I swear her eyes have turned into slits and she says with venom in her voice "because you did this to me you piece of shit!"
        Luke takes it in stride, not batting an eye, he sets his stuff down and immediately is at Alison's side, comforting her physically and verbally. He says to her "it's okay, I'm here, you've got this." Alison seems to deflate a bit in a good way, like she's not carrying as heavy of a burden as she was about 15 seconds ago. Time stands still briefly in between contractions. Luke jumped into his role as doting husband and almost father seamlessly. Killian and I both take a step back to let them share this moment together. I'm not sure how much time passes, but there's a knock at the door and a nurse and a man come in to the hospital room.
       The nurse looks at the three of us that aren't in labor and says nicely "I'm going to have to ask you all to leave the room so Mrs. Alvez can receive her epidural. It's hospital policy, I'm sorry." Before any of us could say anything Alison says "all of you get the fuck out now!" Killian and I make eye contact with wide eyes and nod, following orders. Luke still looks shocked and Alison says "Luke I love you, but get out! I need that epidural so bad." He stills for a second before nodding and kissing Alison on the forehead "I'll be right outside, I love you." She gives a grimace mixed with a smile before looking back down to make it through another contraction.
       Killian and I walk out with Luke who looks absolutely freaked out. Killian looks at him and says "hey, they're both fine, everything is all good, Luke." He sighs and nods "I know...I'm...I'm just a little freaked out by all of this." We both nod understandingly and I chime in "it would be weird if you weren't." He gives me a half smile and nod at that. I tell him "we are going to go hang out out here for a bit and give y'all some privacy, but just give us a call if you need us." He nods and says "thank you guys so much for everything you've done for us. I can't thank you enough." We smile and tell him not to worry about it as we make our way to the labor and delivery waiting room.
          We both sit down, or rather slump, into our seats. I ask her "should we go back to their house and clean up before they come back?" Killian nods "and we should finish building that thing." I groan and nod "that sounds horrible right now." Killian chuckles "we can play it by ear. I bet she has that baby by the morning." I nod "I bet you're right." Killian stands and holds her hands out to help me up "come on chickadee let's go help the mama and daddy to be." I groan and tell her "only if you promise me no more rhyming." Killian laughs and nods "deal." I stand and walk with her towards the elevator to go back to her car. As we are in the waiting room, Killian texts both Luke and Alison to let them know where we went and to let us know if they need us to get anything or need us to come back.
          Luke responded as we were walking up to the car that it looks like they've still got a little while before the baby comes but they'll let us know when the baby is here so we can come meet him. We get in the car and both sigh a sigh of relief that we made it through this crazy night. Killian laughs as we drive out of the parking lot of the hospital "who would've thought we would be almost delivering Alison's baby tonight?" I laugh "it feels like I brought it into existence because I took a pregnancy test this morning." Killian hits me briefly and says "shut up, you did not!" I laugh and raise my hands in a surrender "don't get too excited, it was negative."
        Killian looks disappointed and says "boo. I can't wait for you guys to have baby geniuses." I laugh "I don't think you have to wait more than a few years if Spencer and I have anything to say about it." Killian smiles and asks "so why did you take one? Are you guys trying?" I shake my head "no, I've been getting the birth control shot since...everything...and it's made my hormones fluctuate like crazy and I had a lot of motion sickness from the trip. It wasn't anything that out of the ordinary. Spencer didn't want to take any chances and wanted to know for sure. He can't stand it if he doesn't have answers."
        Killian nods "how are you doing by the way? Seriously?" I give her a bit of a sad smile and tell her "um well I'm very happy to be married and finally have the wedding behind me, but I'm far from recovered from what happened. It was a very overwhelming few months." Killian nods "I know it was, sweetie." I continue "Emily dying and coming back was the least stressful part of it all I think. I don't ever want to divorce Spencer for the sake of never having to plan another wedding." Killian laughs "it's that bad?" I shrug "the day itself was great, but planning it all and making arrangements and phone calls and trying to make everyone happy was way too much for me. If I ever get remarried then I'm just eloping."
        Killian laughs as we turn into the driveway of Alison and Luke's house "well I genuinely don't think you'll ever have to worry about that. Spencer loves you too much and you love Spencer too much for the two of you to not be endgame." I smile "I agree with you and I hope we stay like that." Killian smiles and gestures for me to follow her into the house. She opens the garage with a key code and we walk in through the garage door to their house to clean up the mess from Alison's water breaking and to finish building the ikea shelf for the nursery. As we are mopping up the floor of the kitchen and the hallway, I ask Killian "how are you and Aaron?"
        Killian immediately smiles widely and blushes "we are doing really well." I smile back and ask her "really?" She nods "he asked me to move in with him." I look at her and smile "what did you say?" She smiles even wider and says "well I told him my rent was going up and the landlord was changing at my apartment and asked him to read over the new lease agreement for me because he was a lawyer before he was an FBI agent and knows what to look out for in legally binding documents. Halfway through reading it over for me he stopped and asked me 'this is ridiculous, why don't you just move in here? It's closer to the hospital and Jack loves having you around and..I love having you around. It is completely illogical that you continue to pay this outrageous amount of rent to spend the majority of your time here whether I'm here or not.' I just feigned shock at his revelation and nodded and conceded with minimal fight."
        Killian did the bunny ears quotes around the word "fight" and continued "so we are moving in together over the next couple of weeks before my lease is up. I spend the majority of my time there anyway. The only time I'm not there is if Aaron is on a case and Jack is with Jessica. In a pinch, I keep Jack unless I just can't with my work schedule." I nod "it sounds like a really good thing, Kil." She smiles "I think it is." I laugh and tell her "I feel like I missed so much on our honeymoon." Killian laughs "then I'd say you did it right. So now tell me in more details, how was everything on the honeymoon?" I smile "it was really good." Killian asks me "best sex of your life?" I shrug and say "I mean I've never had bad sex with Spencer. He always does everything he can to make sure I'm comfortable and I'm getting the best treatment from him."
         Killian raises a brow "so no kinky exploration on the honeymoon then?" I laugh a bit shyly and continue "I mean I got to try being the top a few more times and we used some new toys and stuff for fun." Killian says "but...?" I sigh and tell her "ever since the attack Spencer treats me as if I could break with the slightest touch most of the time. We worked through it a few times on the honeymoon but I had to hurt my ankle on the beach and get carried to him by a beautiful Greek man before he finally didn't treat me as if I would shatter if he was anything but gentle with his touch." Killian nods as she screws in a screw to connect a drawer to the shelf "have you talked to him about this?" I nod "many times. We had a fight about it towards the beginning of the honeymoon and he walked away from me when I got upset and started yelling. I know he just doesn't want to hurt me, but...it's hurting me how much has changed. I feel like I'm damaged goods to him now."
         Killian sighs and pulls me in for a hug "sweetie, the last thing you are is damaged goods. You are so strong for enduring what you did and you've blossomed since then. You didn't let him keep you down. Spencer just doesn't want to hurt you. He's afraid to be anything like the man who hurt you. It was traumatic for him, too, feeling helpless in helping you." I wipe a stray tear as I tell her "you promised me no more rhyming." Killian chuckles "that was an accident. I mean it though, Spencer loves you and really just doesn't want to hurt you further. It would nearly shatter him to know that he had a hand in hurting you. You left to go home to grieve Emily and he dropped everything to stay in the area just in case you might change your mind and want him around. He was happy to give you the space you needed, but just enough space that he could be at your beck and call if you needed him and you did."
         I sigh and nod "I know, I know. I really just want to remove the memory of what happened for everybody. He saw me tied up and naked after Harrison had whipped me. So did Aaron and JJ and Morgan and who knows who else after I lost consciousness. I wish I could erase that from their memory for good because I'm afraid it's changed what they think of me." Killian shakes her head "all Aaron says is that you didn't deserve what he did to you and that you were so strong and you handled it all so well." I nod "they've all been very...gracious...about the whole thing."
Killian chuckles "Annie, being gracious would be brushing off the fact that you're an hour late for a team dinner. These people are so proud of you and proud to know you. The last thing they think of you is that you're weak or defenseless. It was only a matter of time before Harrison got to you on his home turf but you managed to evade him for hours. You only gave in to exhaustion when you knew you were safe in Spencer's arms. You fought through it all and never gave up the fight for your life. We are in awe of you and your strength. You came back and bought a house and got married, nothing keeps you down. You're a fighter and we all knew that. I think you're still just figuring that out."
I sigh and nod, taking in all her words. I wipe a few tears as I tell her "I honestly don't know what to say. I'm so thankful for you all for being here for me and for being so understanding during my recovery process. I love you, Kil, thank you for being my person." She walks over to me and wraps her arms around me in a warm embrace. We hold each other there for a brief and comfortable silence, I thank my lucky stars for such an amazing friend. When we pull apart we both wipe tears and Killian says "why don't we fix that shelf now?" I nod "we were almost done with it, we should probably put the car seat in one of their cars and drive it up to the hospital tonight."
Killian nods "good plan. Luke's car is here, I think he got a ride from the tarmac to the hospital earlier tonight." I nod "I think so, too." We get to work building the shelf and continue talking. Killian asks me "are you excited to come back to work full time?" I nod "I'm excited for a routine and normalcy. I feel like I've become a lazy bum though and getting thrown back in to working full time will be a rough adjustment." Killian nods "it's a rough adjustment after a vacation and it'll certainly be rough for you considering you haven't worked full time since like...what, April?" I nod "getting kidnapped and assaulted will do that to you. I was able to do some work remotely for the hospital when I had to go home. Alison and I were both behind on paperwork and stuff so I was able to help catch up with that."
Killian nods "our two PRN speech therapists have had to work a lot since you've had so much happen, but after they found out what happened that took you out of commission, they were happy to do it." I give a small smile and tell her "after I have kids I think I want to work PRN. Keep the information fresh and keep some extra cash coming in. I don't have to worry about health insurance because Spencer gets that with his job. I'll just have to transfer to his after I am not full time anymore." Killian nods "sounds like you have this all figured out babes." I chuckle and say "and then God laughed." Killian erupts with laughter and we finish up the building of the shelf shortly after.

•••••

Killian and I have two bachelor's degrees and a master's degree between the two of us, yet installing an infant car seat in Luke's car was the hardest task we embarked on tonight. It took calls to Penelope and Spencer and Hotch for a few hours to figure it out. Around 1 am DC time we get it figured out and I drive Luke's car up to the hospital with Killian following me. We were sure to lock up the house and leave it cleaner than we found it for the new parents.
I park the car in visitor parking as close as I can get it to the front entrance and I meet Killian in the lobby of the hospital as soon as I get it parked and locked up. Killian tells me "Luke just texted they're taking her to the delivery room now!" My eyes widen with excitement and panic at the same time as we both hop on the elevator. I smile at her and say "we are about to be aunts!" Killian chuckles "it is pretty exciting, isn't it?" We make our way to the waiting room for the second time tonight and take turns pacing and sitting with bouncing legs.
I am about to tell Killian we just need to wait until tomorrow and go home for the night when Luke comes out and tells us "he's here! Elliot is here!" We both jump up with excitement and cheer. Luke continues "he's 8 pound 4 ounces and 21 inches long!" I smile "oh he's a big boy!" Killian nods "imagine if he hadn't come a couple weeks early, too." Luke nods a bit grimly and says "we both appreciate how much you two have done for us tonight but the hospital staff said visiting hours are over and they said you should come back and see him tomorrow." We both nod and I tell him "we understand, Luke. Y'all get some rest and we will come back up tomorrow after we have all had some rest. Congratulations, you're both going to be great parents!"
He smiles and nods and I hand him his keys "your car is in visitor parking by the entrance and the car seat is installed and ready to go." Luke smiles and pulls us both in for quick hugs, he quickly wipes tears and I think he hopes we don't notice. He says "thanks, God I can't believe he's here and he's so perfect. I have to get back in there." He runs off without another word and Killian and I make our way to her car to finally put an end to this insane night that took a few unexpected turns from beginning to end.