Chapter 27: Rehabilitation*

Spencer spent a good 5 days in the hospital, the majority of them in the ICU under close watch by health care professionals. We weren't sure what all Elle could've dosed him up with while he was incapacitated. He's been handling it all well, a few moody outbursts, but that's to be expected with drug withdrawal and detox even when you haven't gone through everything he's gone through. One thing that has hit him hard is the loss of our baby. He feels so guilty for not having been there even though he had no control over the situation. I know if Elle hadn't abducted him that he would've been by my side every step of the way.
        We are on our way now to the rehabilitation center. I can tell he's apprehensive about it, but he knows it's what is best for him right now. Hotch is driving and Morgan is in the front seat while Spencer and I are in the back seat. I squeeze Spencer's hand as we pull in through the gates of the center. It has the best reviews and many of DC's finest with addiction problems have been through the programs here. The place is nice, a lot of greenery and wildlife on the property. We get out of the car and walk up towards the front steps. We are greeted by a nice black man, he introduces himself as Dr. Grant Oakley the administrator for the facility, but tells everybody to call him Grant. He has a doctorate in psychology and specializes as a certified addictions specialist. He is wearing a sweater vest and looks just all around comfy, the same vibe as Mr. Rogers.
        We all introduce ourselves and then he takes us on a tour of the facilities. There's a walking trail, a pool, a tennis court, a basketball court, ping pong tables, and more for activities. The different meeting rooms and lounge areas for the residents to mingle are all very nice and inviting. There isn't one big cafeteria, each residence hall has their own eating area that really gives off more of a hotel vibe than a hospital vibe. Grant is stated that most often the different types of addictions are grouped together, but honestly that doesn't sound like a good idea for the sex addicts, so hopefully that isn't the case for their addiction.
         The room I can tell Spencer will love more than anything is the library. It's grand and filled with books and book shelves. There are comfortable corners with nice chairs and couches as well as tables similar to a college library where students would study. I can already tell Spencer is going to spend a lot of time here. They're going to have to pry him out of here and force him to mingle with others.
         We finally get to the room where Spencer will be staying. It's a nice room with a full size bed and a night stand. He has his own bathroom with a shower but no tub. There's a tv attached to the wall but it doesn't have cable, only a dvd player. The dvds have to be checked out by Spencer from the library. It's just going to gather dust with him. One dvd every room is equipped with is a calming video of a fish tank that repeats on a loop for about 10 hours for those that need something to help them ground themselves who may need more sensory input.
          A lot of times they encourage others to share rooms instead of use the single rooms, but because of Spencer's addiction and how we ended up here is different, they didn't fight us on wanting him to have his own space to work through everything. He has an entire wall of windows - heavily reinforced windows - and long black out curtains that cover them at night. Grant tells us "we understand the circumstances of Dr. Reid's recent struggles with his addiction were caused by events out of his control and that he came to this program willingly. We can tell that he wants to get better so in the beginning with you, Dr. Reid, we are planning to encourage you more than require you to attend group therapy sessions and individual therapy sessions. If you become too reclusive and don't engage with other residents, it will become a requirement. Your participation in the program is how it will work and how we can help you."
        Spencer nods "I understand. Will the door to my room ever be locked?" Grant looks at the door and then at Spencer as he says "these doors do lock, we had to include locks in the case of an armed intruder sadly, but we do not lock them and do not encourage residents to lock them should they require assistance. We have a curfew at 10 pm where all residents are to be in their rooms for the night barring any emergencies or special circumstances. Nurses and orderlies are placed throughout every hall should there be any issues whether they are regarding physical health or mental health."
        Spencer asks after clearing his throat "is it um, is it alright if I leave my door open or cracked at night?" Grant looks confused by the question. He responds "most don't, but I don't see why you can't." I understand why Spencer is asking that. This room is somewhat reminiscent of the room that Elle kept him in for a month except for the windows and the fact that it is much nicer. Spencer asks "Will I be able to meet with a therapist individually who has worked with agents or those who have been abducted previously? I want to do my best to walk out of here well adjusted in as many ways as possible."
        Grant nods "yes, we can arrange that. We want for you to feel comfortable and supported here. We appreciate your cooperation." Spencer smiles softly and says "I'm happy to be here." I can tell Spencer is genuine about that. He's happy to be alive. He told me in the hospital that he wants to come home, but he wants to come home mentally healthier than he has been.
Grant tells him "you can have supervised phone calls any time during the day after breakfast and before curfew. You'll use a phone at the nurse's station for your hall that is locked with a passcode so you can't make more than one call. You, your wife, and your team will list approved phone numbers you can call that are then verified by us. Typically this is to prevent addicts from contacting their dealers, but I don't think you're in any danger of that."
I ask "can I call and speak to him?" Grant responds to me "we really only encourage family members to call in case of an emergency as we don't want to interrupt any of the sessions or activities are residents may be engaged in at the time. You can leave a message at the front desk and we can have Spencer call you back when he is not engaged in therapy or an activity?" I nod "that sounds good." Spencer squeezes my hand and gives me a soft smile "I'll call you every night before bed." I squeeze his hand back and smile, that's all I wanted to hear.
I tell Grant "you're going to have to limit his library time or he will be there from sun up to curfew." Grant chuckles and nods "duly noted." Spencer rolls his eyes at me and I squeeze his hand. Hotch looks at the both of us and asks Grant "when are visiting hours?" Grant responds "we try to limit those to the weekend because that's most often when family members are available as well as when our therapists are not engaged in major sessions if any. We do make exceptions for holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, and other special occasions. We also have on call therapists and medical professionals available for any emergencies overnight and on the weekends." Hotch asks "is there anything else we should know before we should be going?" Grant says "no, I don't think so, just leave a list of approved phone numbers at the nurses' station out here so Dr. Reid can make phone calls."
Morgan tells Hotch and Grant "we ought to let the love birds say goodbye privately before we hit the road." Morgan looks at me "we will add your personal number and your work phone number for you as well as the team's numbers." I smile and say "thanks Derek." He gives me a wink and the rest of them leave the room, leaving the door cracked. I turn to Spencer and wrap my arms around him, pulling him in tight to me. He kisses the top of my head and tells me "I'll be home before you know it, better than ever."
I nod "I know. I never really thought if I ever had to be dropping you off at rehab that you would go so willingly." Spencer chuckles "hopefully this is my only ever trip to rehab." I look at him and tell him "I know you never would've taken those drugs on your own, especially when we had a baby on the way." Spencer nods and asks me carefully "when...when do you want to try again?" I give him a small smile and ask him "what are you thinking?" He sighs and says "I definitely want us to have a baby, but I want to be sure we have both worked through the loss of Matthew first. I'll speak to a therapist here about it and you speak to yours about it." I nod and tell him "I was seeing my therapist about it before we even found you, Spencer."
Spencer nods and says "that's why you're better emotionally adjusted than I am." We both chuckle before I touch my lips to his gently. We move our lips together briefly before we pull away. Spencer sighs and says "a month is a long time." I sigh "two months is even longer." He gently squeezes his hands on my hips and says "it's going to be worth it." I laugh and say "I hope you're right." He stops me from walking away and asks me quietly "did you cum without permission while I was away?" My breathing quickens and I gulp as I nod. I say as quietly as possible "yes, sir."
He nods and says "good, I wouldn't have wanted you to wait that long while I was gone." I breathe a sigh of relief as he pushes some hair out of my face and behind my ears. I ask him "what about while you're gone now?" He chuckles darkly and tells me "hmm...two orgasms a week." My jaw drops and he says "you'll be nice and ready for me when I get home. I'll know if you don't follow my directions." I close my mouth and nod in agreement "yes, sir." He smiles and says "good girl. Don't worry about me, I'll be fine and I'll be home before you know it." I give him a small smile before I reach up and connect our lips again. I tell him softly "I love you, Spencer, so much." He smiles and kisses me again before telling me "I love you, too, it's going to be okay." I smile sadly and nod "I know it will be okay."
Morgan pokes his head in and says "wrap it up, love birds, it's time for us to go." We both nod and kiss one more time. I wave at him and walk out of the room. He tells me "I'll call you every night before bed." I smile and nod "I'll visit on the weekends." We give each other sad smiles before I walk away with Hotch and Morgan, fighting tears. Morgan puts a hand on my upper back, trying to show me support as we walk out of the building and into the FBI's black SUV. Morgan tells me "you sit up front, I don't want you to get sick."
         I give him a grateful smile and nod as I do what he says. The drive back is quiet and I feel a tear slip every now and then. Hotch tells me "this is for the best. He will be better set up for success in the future because we are doing this." I nod and tell him "I know, but it doesn't make any of this any easier." He nods and says "it'll be over before you know it."