Chapter 33: Rest

Spencer drove us to the hospital like a bat out of hell. I'm wearing Nike shorts a tank top and flip flops and Spencer is wearing sweatpants, a t shirt, and his pool flip flops. We look crazy. We get to the ER of the hospital I work in because it's the closest and they rush me up to OB immediately. I get separated from Spencer as they rush me up there, he quickly went to park the car and said he would find me. Every 5 minutes or so since I woke up I've been having intense pains like menstrual cramps, I can just think they have to be contractions. I'm only 27 weeks along, this is too early. The baby needs more time to develop.
They get me up to a hospital room, I know all of the staff and I don't know if this makes me more nervous that I know them because I really don't want my coworkers seeing my vagina. However, if they save my baby and me, I'll give them a strip show in return if that's what they ask for in exchange for all of their hard work. The doctor is talking to me and connecting these monitors to me. She confirms I am in preterm labor with contractions but the baby does not appear to be in distress according to the monitors. She gives me medication and steroids to stop the baby from coming.
Spencer shows up as they are getting ready to check on the baby via ultrasound. He quickly comes to my bedside and holds my hand. He asks "find out anything?" The nurse says "so far we just have contractions, but no distress which is good." Spencer nods in understanding, I can tell he is still worried and I am, too. The doctor gets the gel on my stomach, it's a warm and weird feeling every time I have an ultrasound. She searches around my belly and easily finds the baby. She tells me "everything looks good, Annie, her heart beat is strong and she's moving. From what I can see, the cord isn't wrapped around anything it shouldn't be. Everything looks good."
She continues to check everything. I work with her often when we know we have a potential nicu baby coming in to our nicu. If I can be prepped in any way it helps tremendously. She and I have a good working relationship and I know she's very good at what she does. She tells me "let me give you an exam, okay? Just to be cautious and I'll see if I see anything that concerns me." I nod and get adjusted to the stirrups she pulls out from the end of the bed. They readjusted the bed so I could be more easily sitting up. She washes her hands again and gloves up.
She does a pelvic exam on me, it's not a pleasant feeling but pelvic exams never are. It doesn't take long before she comes back up to talk to us while she degloves and washes her hands again. She tells us "okay I think I know what the culprit is here, did you two engage in sexual intercourse earlier tonight?" Oh my God, kill me now. We both nod, but don't answer verbally. The doctor smiles understandingly and nods "I think that's what did it. There are a lot of prostaglandins in sperm and also having an orgasm can release oxytocin which might also jump start labor too early." I ask her "my last pregnancy was ectopic, could that have anything to do with this?" The doctor nods "yes, an ectopic pregnancy in the past can be a risk factor for preterm delivery and cesarean delivery."
Spencer squeezes my hand and asks the doctor "okay, so what do we need to do?" The doctor nods and says, looking at both of us, "I hate to say it but I'm putting you on pelvic rest which means you need to abstain from sexual intercourse at least until week 37." My eyes go wide. That's ten weeks of abstinence. We haven't done that since I was attacked. Spencer speaks before I do, seemingly unfazed, as he says "okay, anything else?"
The doctor nods and looks at me "I want you to limit stress as much as possible. Not quite bed rest yet, but if this happens again then I'm putting you on bed rest officially. Take it easy. I'm also going to give you some magnesium now to help keep the baby placated so she has longer to develop. I'm also going to give you magsulfate to take when you leave here, you have to take it every 6 hours or your contractions will start back up. We want baby to have as long as possible to finish developing. At week 37, so by my calculations that will be October 31st, you can stop all drugs and your pelvic rest will have ended as well."
I nod and squeeze Spencer's hand. The doctor leaves the room to talk to the nurses and Spencer looks at me. He tells me "please, see if you can take time off of work? Neither of us want to lose this baby. My salary can cover for both of us." I smile and tell him "I was afraid you'd be more upset about the no sex part." Spencer chuckles "I will never have sex again if it means that our baby is born happy and healthy." I chuckle "don't say that, that means I won't have sex again either." Spencer laughs before he gets serious again "please, consider taking time off of work." I sigh "Spencer, should I just go ahead and quit?"
Spencer looks at me confused "why?" I eye him as I say "I'm just going to take maternity leave after the baby comes. Then I think I want to work PRN. Should I just go ahead and quit my full time position and then apply to be PRN here or somewhere else when I'm ready after we have the baby?" Spencer sighs and says "it's your choice. I don't care if you work at all. I just want you to be happy and for you and our babies to be taken care of at home." I smile and fight tears. I ask him "so, Doctor, are you putting me on bed rest?" He chuckles "I'm putting you on work rest for now." He gently connects our lips once before pulling back and telling me "I love you, thank you for doing all the work of developing and bringing our child into the world." I smile at him and tell him "I wouldn't have it any other way, Spence."