Prologue

"And I rest my case" You looked down upon the face of the criminal, whose eyes widened in terror and regret as he was being held down by some Tenryou officers.

You had solved a murder case and successfully captured the perpetrator with your ironclad evidence. The suspect then just gave up resisting and glued his sights on the ground while he was being taken away. You on the other hand, took a deep breath as you could feel your legs turning into jello.

"Finally, it's over..." You muttered to yourself as you placed your hand over your chest.

"Way to go, rookie detective! Glad I could count on you!" A woman's voice praised you from behind and you could feel her palm slapping your back, making you flinch in surprise.

"Gah-!?" You slowly turned your head to the side to look at her. "Sango.. Don't scare me like that"

Sango gave a proud grin as she placed her arm over your shoulder. "Cmon y/n! You just solved your first case, you should feel more proud!"

You just sheepishly smiled at your senior detective before letting out a sigh of relief.

"I'll be heading back to the agency now, we should celebrate tonight and invite Ryuuji along" She mused as she pats your shoulder before turning around to make her leave.

You turned around as well to look and watch her leave before you could give your answer.

"Ah– oh well.." You lightly sighed before looking up at the clear sky. "I guess reading will have to wait until the end of the celebration"

You had worked under the Bantan Sango Detective Agency for around half a year now and today was the first time that Sango had entrusted you to solve a case on your own. In previous cases, you were only an assistant detective and you usually just try to help from the sidelines. When Sango finally told you to handle the case by yourself, you were in between excitement and nervousness, you can't tell if you want to throw up or just jump for joy, but everything went well in the end. It was a great challenge and experience for you.

***

You soon arrived back at Inazuma City and started heading for Yae Publishing House.

"I wonder if they have any new mystery novels on sale.." You muttered to yourself as you approached a familiar man by the counter.

"Hey Kuroda" You chirped while slightly waving.

"Oh hey, y/n! Finished solving a case?" Kuroda greeted back with a smile.

"Mhm~ Got any new novels in display?"

Kuroda let off a light chuckle at your enthusiasm. "Why don't you check out that shelf over there?" He pointed at the shelf where all the books were displayed for sale. You then made your way to the said shelf while feeling giddy to see what's in store.

"Hm... Let's see.." You placed a finger on your chin as your eyes scanned all over the shelf, checking on the displayed books one-by-one. You soon found a book that had caught your eye and tried to reach for it.

As you finally reached for that book, you felt another hand that held onto it.

"Eh?" You turned your head to the side and came face to face with a young man about your age with Burgundy hair and a shiny pair of Olive eyes.

"Oh, were you aiming for this book as well?" He tilted his head to the side with a light smile on his face. You swore to yourself that he really has a smooth voice.

"I.." You couldn't stop staring at him for a moment and glanced back at the book with both of your hands reaching for it. You suddenly became slightly flustered and pulled your hand away.