Chapter 5 Act III

"y/n... Can we talk for a bit..?"

You felt hesitant to talk to Sango after everything that had happened. A part of you wants to talk things out with her but another part of you felt that her last remark of you was enough for you to hear and thought that there's nothing else to talk about.

"It's alright if you don't want to. I just want to let you know that.. I'm sorry for everything and for what I've said. Once you recover, it's up to you if you want to return to the agency or not... I won't pressure you" She then turned to the door. "I'll go and take my leave now. I'm sure I'm making things more uncomfortable for you. Hope you recover soon" Before she was about head out from that door, you know you have to tell her before she would leave.

"Sango..." You didn't look at her as you still glanced down on your bed.

"Hm?" She paused by the door and turned around to look at you.

"I-I'll... try to think about it.." You could tell that she was dumbfounded by your answer before she nodded and left the room.

Shinobu then walked in while holding some snacks and food, slightly confused when Sango suddenly left upon her return. "Finished talking already?"

You nodded at your friend then started reading the book you've been holding. She then sat back down on her seat and offered you some snacks, to which you accepted while you read.

Hours have passed and you have finished about three or maybe four books. You closed the book you were currently reading and noticed that the sun had already set, Shinobu stood up from her seat to get your dinner as you just waited patiently. The door suddenly slid open, revealing a familiar redhead with a lightly tired smile on his face. You guessed that his investigation must have been quite a hassle, even for a detective of his caliber.

"Thanks for watching over y/n, Shinobu. I've already put in a good word on the officers to bail your boys out" He looked over to your green haired friend who was preparing dinner. She turned to look at the detective with a nod and served you dinner before she starts cleaning up and grabbed her stuff.

"I'll be heading out now to pick up the boys from the police station, I'll drop by some other time when I'm free" And with that, Shinobu left the room. Heizou then went over to sit on the nearby chair, noticing the stacks of books you finished. "Wow, looks like you really indulged yourself with these novels. How was it so far?"

You paused from chewing your food as you looked at him. "Oh uh- it was pretty good actually and uhm... Thank you.. I mean for these books-"

He lightly chuckled. "Glad you liked them"

"So how did your investigation go?"

"Take a guess~"

"Ehh.." You sweatdropped, then the detective let out another chuckle. "I was actually investigating those potions and chemicals that were stashed away by the very same Fatui soldiers that had kidnapped you" You noticed the expression on the detective's face slightly frowned.

"Guess you still haven't figured out who has been supplying them those chemicals?"

"Bingo, also, it's some sort of a new kind of chemical that paralyzes the body whenever it is consumed, in contact with wounds, or at least catching a whiff of its fumes is enough to immobilize you for a couple of hours. It's also a slow-burning poison.. it may not be fatal if you've only been affected once but your body will grow weaker overtime if left untreated" A sigh slipped through his mouth. "It will take a while before the experts will be able to make a remedy for it.." He then glanced at you with slight worry in his eyes.