Interlude Chapter 2: Test of Courage(Act III)

You and other participants of the event have all gathered in the middle of the forest. A while back, you and Thoma ran into Itto, and he introduced to the both of you three little youkai who were actually planning to hold a festival called the Mikawa Flower Festival . You were quite intrigued at the story behind the little ones' intentions to hold the festival and it made you wonder if the Yashiro Commission is already aware of this.

'Now that I think about it, it's quite a coincidence that the youkai planned the festival here in Chinju Forest while the Test of Courage event is also on-going... There's a slight possibility that the Commissioner did this on purpose as well. Heizou did mention that the Yashiro Commission might be covering up something under the guise of this event but the motive is still unclear. I wonder if the Akitsu Yuugei game on the beach is the yokai's doing as well?' You pondered deeply, unable to notice the white-haired ronin approaching your way.

"You seem to be lost in deep thought" His soothing voice pierced through as it made you snap out of your thoughts and finally took notice of his presence.

"K-Kazuha! I didn't know you were here as well!" You were surprised to see him again but it made you happy nonetheless. It has been a while since you and the ronin had seen each other after all.

He softly chuckled at your reaction. "It's nice to see you again, y/n. I assume things have gone smoothly for you and Heizou?" He tilted his head to the side.

You then nodded eagerly at his response. "Mhm"

"I see, that's good to know" He then gave a relieved smile. "By the way, I noticed your troubled figure a moment ago. I wonder what has caused a storm to brew in your thoughts? Mind sharing the details if it's alright with you?"

"Ah.. well.." You then began to explain about the things going on since the event started, also including Heizou's investigation that he was commissioned to do. Kazuha placed a hand on his chin as he listened carefully to your story.

"I see.. And how was the investigation so far?"

"Right now, Heizou went to investigate on his own to avoid suspicion while Traveler and I tried to discreetly investigate on our side as well. I wonder if I could ask one of the youkai's for a short questioning" You muttered and turned to look at one of the youkai who was talking to Itto and the traveler.

"Everyone's here for the Test of Courage, not because you brought them here! Half the people here don't even know who you are!" A certain silver head pointed out as she was talking to your red-horned oni friend.

"Hey! This is my moment, Paimon! Don't ruin it for me!" He argued back.

You went over towards the group with a light smile after overhearing a part of their conversation. "What are you guys talking about?"

"Oh hey, y/n! We were just talking about how Itto isn't really as cool as he claims to be" Paimon grinned mischievously as you just sweatdropped and sheepishly chuckled at their somewhat sibling-like relationship.

"When it comes to connections, nothing beats Paimon and the Traveler!" She added proudly with a smug face.

"Oh yeah? Well, why don't we have a little contest? Let's see who knows the most people here!"

"Bring it on, Bull-chucker Beetle Boy!"

"Please don't fight, I think you both are amazing!" The little youkai with a cat-like mask tried to mediate the argument. "And you also have a great friendship, just like Lord Kamai and the samurai"

"Lord Kamai?" You tilted your head curiously.

"Oh, he's been a well-renowned youkai since centuries ago. During the Mikawa Flower Festival at that time, he met a human samurai who stumbled upon the festival and welcomed him. They both bonded and forged a wonderful friendship. I deeply admired their friendship so much that I want to experience it too!" She said with enthusiasm.