Chapter 9 Act I

You were fighting back your urge to tear up as soon as the detective was already out of sight. You figured that you should've seen this coming, considering how he had left you that day. The way he spoke to you just now somehow pierced your cracked heart, slowly breaking it further.

You soon looked up as you noticed the blonde traveler and Paimon making their way towards you.

"y/n! We're here— what's wrong?"

"Huh..? What do you mean?"

"y/n... You're crying"

It didn't take long before you realized that you felt something wet streaming down your cheeks. You wiped it off with your hand then you started chuckling for a bit. "I- This is so strange..." Your chuckles eventually turned to sobs then you suddenly broke down and covered your face. The traveler went closer to you and pulled you close to have you lean on to their chest. Caressing your hair as they tried to comfort you.

"Who hurt you, y/n? Paimon's going to give them a taste of their own medicine!"

You just shook your head as you kept sobbing against the traveler's chest. The traveler then looked at Paimon and gestured her to keep quiet. You took quite a while to vent out your frustrations and all of the pent-up pain you felt. 

For the past 6 months, you've been holding back your emotions and kept on looking forward to see him again. It hasn't been an easy time for you, considering how much weight he holds into your heart. You've been enduring it all and now is the time when all of those emotions are starting to break free.

"Give it time.. Everything's going to be okay" The traveler whispered while caressing your hair gently.

***

You and your companions soon went off to the mess hall as everyone in camp, aside from the patrols, were being called. You grabbed your fair share of the meal as the traveler did the same. Paimon on the other hand is rather slightly upset because she wasn't given her share, and the three of you then went to take a vacant spot which is perfectly small enough for your group to fit in.

"Grrr, how dare they forget about Paimon! Paimon will remember this! She would've unleashed her Paimonial wrath if you two hadn't been there to stop her!"

"Easy now Paimon. Here, you can have mine" You offered your meal to your silver-haired companion before her face lit up almost immediately.

"Waaah! Really?? Paimon's grateful, y/n!" She then happily munched on the food as the blonde companion lightly facepalmed and shook their head, then you just let out a sheepish chuckle upon watching the two.

As the three of you were supposedly enjoying your meal, you were interrupted by a certain man who approached your spot and gave a menacing tone.

"Move out"

You three turned to look at the man with brown hair and eyes. It's apparently the same guy who dissed and mocked the three of you earlier at the orientation.

"I beg your pardon..?" The traveler responded with their eyebrows furrowed.

"Didn't hear me? I said move out, you all are hogging up the remaining space for our batch. Now beat it"

"Why you—" Paimon was suddenly interrupted as you stood up from your seat that alerted everyone's attention inside the hall.

"Oh no, don't worry. We're just finishing up our meal. Cmon you two, let's go" You then walked out of the mess hall, leaving the man dumbfounded as both of your companions decided to follow your outside.

"y/n.. are you alright?" The traveler looked at you as they were slightly concerned.

"Cheer up, y/n! We'll show that guy who's boss when the begin the mission!"

"...It's okay, you two. I'm fine" You gave them both a reassuring smile.

Although deep down, you're a bit agitated. Not because of how the man had treated you, but rather how he would just insult the existence of foreigners in general. You're well-aware that you're not the only foreigner in this nation but the thought somehow makes your blood boil a bit.

You three went off to rest at your assigned tents and as you were about to walk into yours, you noticed the redhead detective standing by outside as if he was lost in thought for a moment. When you got near him, he snapped out of his daze and turned to look at you with a softened expression, which kind of caught you off guard since you thought he was still mad at you for dragging yourself to a dangerous mission, especially that it even concerns the Fatui.

"...Heizou?"

"y/n... can we.. talk for a moment?"

"..I uhm... sorry, I'm a bit tired right now... I need to sleep"

"I-It will just take a moment, I promise!" Out of impulse, he suddenly held your hand with both of his. You were startled but you didn't pull away, in fact, you were hoping he would act like this more often when approaching you rather than being cold and stone-hearted. You slightly blushed as you both looked at each other's hands, you haven't felt his warm touch in such a long time, it gave you butterflies just by remembering it.

"...y/n, I was wrong. I was wrong to leave you behind. I should've been more upfront with you and told you properly. I don't know what came over me that day, but I just wanted to let you know that I never intended to hurt you this way.. and I... I want the both of us to make a fresh start. I know I said I just wanted what's best for you, but I realized now that without your happiness and your smile, I don't think it would even be considered as something as the best for you at all.. so.. will you forgive me..?" He firmly squeezed your hand in between his, but not too tight. You could feel your cheeks getting warmer as you both gazed on to each other's eyes. His olive orbs were locked onto your e/c ones and wouldn't even gaze away for at least a moment, you could tell that he was being genuine with his apology from his expression and the way he looks at you.

You lips broke into a warm smile as you gave him a nod. "Of course..."

He suddenly pulled you close into a hug, firmly holding onto you and wouldn't let go. "..I missed you..." He whispered under his breath.

You held on to him, not wanting to let him go. "I missed you too..." You responded with a whisper as well.

After that heartwarming moment, the redhead detective finally pulled away from the hug and caressed the side of your hair, just the way he usually does back then.

"Well.." He then cleared his throat. "You should get some sleep, we'll see other again in the morning. I'll be off to attend to my duties.. Goodnight, y/n"

"G-Goodnight.. Heizou"

He gave a light smile. "Sweet dreams" He then walked away while you watched him leave. As soon as he gotten far enough, you sighed and went inside your tent.

You plopped down on to your sleeping bag gazed up at the ceiling. Your face was still a bit red but you had a smile plastered on your face. You both finally got to make amends after so long, you had hoped that this wouldn't be a dream. You clenched your hand over your chest and let out a satisfied sigh.

"I'm looking forward to work with him again" You mumbled to yourself before you slowly drifted off to sleep.

-End of Act I-