Chapter 3 Act I

You, Heizou and Itto got on the boat as the three of you are heading back to Narukami Island. The general, Gorou had also went to see you three off upon your departure.

You admitted that you'll miss the place and its people. Watatsumi Island's view was indeed very beautiful, and you wished that you got to see more of it. It's a shame that you only got to visit there for a short time due to your job. You then thought that you could ask Sango for a vacation someday so you could revisit the place as a tourist.

"Too bad we didn't get to spend much time in the island. It would've been an ideal place to relax" The redhead detective beside you stretched up his arms before leaning back and turned his head back to the silhouette of the island that is slowly going further away each time.

"It's a good thing that things ended well. Guess that's another case solved" You chirped as you leaned back on your seat as well.

"Heh.. I'm sure the police station is out trying to look for me. Guess I won't be relaxing any time soon"

"Are they always short on staff?" You turned to look at him.

"More or less.. It's just that they usually come and try to find me only when they need me to deal with their work, and most of the time, those jobs are not even worth my time investing" He shrugged.

"Must be tough being a well-renowned detective" You sheepishly chuckled.

"Well, it may have its perks but when your name starts to spread around, cases will keep on coming to find you. It's really hard to catch a break these days"

"How about... I try and offer you my assistance?" You suddenly blurted out without thinking. It made the detective turn his head at you and slightly smiled.

"I would be glad to work with you again" He paused for a moment. "But as I said, a certain someone might not be very happy to see you associating yourself with me" He lifted a finger as a reminder.

"Oh.. Right.." You felt bummed out as you remembered that Sango was specifically strict about not to get yourself involved nor at least try to communicate with him.

"But if you're really that willing to lend a hand and can manage to keep our meeting a secret, then I won't stop you"

You could feel yourself lighten up upon hearing his last statement.

"Hey, check it out!"

"Hm?" You and the redhead detective turned your heads to look at the oni who has been sitting with you both for the entire ride.

Itto got a hold of a huge silver koi while standing on the boat. You sweatdropped while wondering how the heck he managed to pull it off.

"Oh sweet, looks like we're having grilled koi once we're back on Ritou" Heizou snapped as the oni sheepishly chuckled and gave a proud smug.

"Yeah, I know I'm awesome~"

You just rolled your eyes a bit while smiling then you stared off into the horizon at sea.

***

You three finally returned to the port and got off the boat. You stretched your arms and was about to leave.

"Hey, n/n! Aren't you going to join us? We'll be having grilled fish by the beach!" You heard Itto calling out to you then you turned at him and shook your head.

"Actually, I'll pass for today... I need to report something to the agency.."

"Aw boooo"

"Actually, I also have to report to the police station regarding the case. Why don't you try inviting your gang to join you?" Heizou patted Itto's shoulder before he passed by him and went towards you.

The both of you then left Ritou and started heading back to Inazuma City. As you were both walking through the Byakko Plains, your detective companion ended up breaking the silence to make things less awkward.

"You're not really a good liar" He suddenly remarked.

"W-what do you mean by that exactly??"

He softly chuckled as he placed both of his arms behind his head while walking. "I know you're not planning to report to Sango yet"

"Oh yeah? Why don't you try to deduce what I'm planning to do?"

"Judging from your manner of speaking when you declined the offer earlier, you trailed off mid-sentence as you were trying to find the perfect excuse to be able to leave. And from your current pacing, you walk as if you're not in a hurry. I doubt your agency would still be open by the time we arrive with this pace, am I right?"

You start to nervously sweat at his deduction and sighed in defeat. "Fine, you win"

He just had a smug look on his face and you just huffed out.

"How about instead of meeting every other day on the same spot, why don't we meet during our free time?" His suggestion made you tilt your head for a moment.

"Then how do we know where to find each other when needed?"

"I might at least be able to find you easier, so that shouldn't be a problem" He lifted a finger.

"So basically.. We'll just hang out whenever you ended up finding me then?"

"I don't see any problem with that"

"And what about Sango?" You raised an eyebrow.

"Then I won't show myself~"

You just ended up sighing since there's no way you can outsmart this man. Then again, being able to meet him more than you both usually do made you want to look forward to your next meeting with him.

After a long walk together, you both finally reached Inazuma City. You both stopped in front of the huge Sakura tree then the redhead detective turned to face you.

"I'll be heading back to the police station now, see ya, y/n~" He gave a close-eyed smile before waving and walking away.

With a sigh, you looked at the detective and it felt like you were lost in a trance for a moment.

'With him around... I felt very safe.. It's as if I was at home..' You then snapped out of your thoughts and went back home.

-End of Act I-