Chapter 4 Act V

Heizou's POV

We soon arrived at Ritou and I took the apprehended soldier to one of the officers nearby to have him escorted to headquarters. Shortly after, I ended up meeting with the Traveler and their companion with a relieved look since they managed to return safely, but that feeling of relief quickly faded as a certain someone was actually tagging along with the two. I then let out a sigh as I crossed my arms.

"What now, Sango? Are you here to nag about your demands again? Look, I have no time to listen to your complaints, if you want to have a word, kindly proceed to the Tenryou Commission and have other officers listen to you" I'm honestly getting irritated at her presence. First, she was really bold to discard my ideals and pushing her own to be the true ideal. Second, the way she would just discard everything else but the truth, makes her less of a detective than I am. And lastly, lashing out at me is one thing but to the point she would even throw away y/n for getting involved with me is a different story, it's just pure pettiness.

I could tell from the look on her face that she's just as irritated but she's holding back. "Listen, Shikanoin. I want to help look for y/n too"

"Oh, so now you start to care for her? I doubt you could even tell how much she had looked up to you, only to be neglected and discarded for a minor inconvenience" I raised my eyebrow, questioning this woman's audacity.

"I'm well aware of what I did.. I was wrong. I shouldn't have said that to her.."

"Heizou.. Paimon thinks she's genuinely sorry for what she did.. Can't we give her another chance?" The Traveler's companion tried to persuade me out of sympathy. I may sympathize with people, but not to those who have started hurting the innocent for their own ego and then would start apologizing when the damage has been done.

"It is unfortunate that we can no longer undo the damage that has been done here. I'll reconsider, depending on how this search will turn out. Although, I wouldn't allow her to come and join us"

"I- Why not?! Here I am, swallowing my ego and my pride because I want to make things right, and you're not letting me come with you??"

"If you really want to make things right then do me a favor and stay here. If neither the Traveler nor I have returned within 24 hours, head over to the Tenryou Commission and request for reinforcements to Tsurumi Island. That's all I ask for" I gestured the Traveler to follow as we head for the docks and get on the boat. Sango didn't say anything and let us leave in peace, I'm certain that she finally understood how serious the situation is now.

We soon started heading off to Tsurumi Island, bracing ourselves for anything unexpected coming in our way.

"Traveler, have you been to Tsurumi Island before?" I turned to look at them as they nodded.

"Yep! We've been there before dozens of times! Paimon can no longer count how many times we have to go back there just for Sumida's reference material that kept disappearing!"

"I see.. According to the Fatui soldier I had captured, y/n was found at Tatarasuna so they ambushed her and took her to Tsurumi Island. It's too much of a coincidence that out of all places she was taken to, it had to be where the thunderbird had once resided" I placed a hand on my chin while thinking deeply. "Looks like we've got a tough case on our hands, and the Fatui may or may not be the one pulling the strings"

We soon started to notice that our surroundings are becoming foggy, looks like we're already near.

"Didn't we already clear the fog of this island? Why is it still foggy around here??" Paimon turned to look at the Traveler.

"Perhaps the fog outside the island is the only one unaffected, this is the sea of Fog after all" They replied as I just listened in quietly and checking if we're already close to the land itself.

We have finally arrived on land then got off the boat immediately. I turned to check the entrance of the island and I must say, the eeriness of this setting must have other secrets in store, it has perked up my curiosity. But I'll take my time to investigate it once we have y/n back and assuring that she's alright. I want to come back someday and bring her along so we could solve the mysteries here together, now I can see why she has her sights on this place.

I then started moving ahead, prompting the Traveler to follow along as we entered through the arched stone.

"I-Is it just Paimon or has this place become creepier than last time?"

I looked around the area, the place is quite dim but it is not as foggy as it was on sea so it was easier to see what's up ahead. All I could see up ahead were hilichurl camps, there were no signs of Fatui soldiers around.

"I would suggest splitting up for any clues pointing to the traces of Fatui, but let's not venture too far from each other, we'll meet back here right after our search" I went off to leave the Traveler and their companion to search the other side.

Traveler's POV

"Well, there goes Heizou.. Guess we should start on our side as well" I turned to look at Paimon as she just shrugged. Then I started searching on our side.

Since the fog in this island had already dispersed, it wasn't too hard to look around our surroundings. Compared to last time, we had to blindly run around or rely on elemental sight.

"Traveler, look! Footprints!"

I then took notice on a couple of damp foot prints on the ground. Some were quite big and some were just as small as mine. It could be a trace leading to the Fatui, but we have to confirm it first to be sure.

As we followed the traces of the footsteps, it soon leads to the very foggy area of the island where you could easily get lost if you don't light up the lamps around.

"Heizou said that we shouldn't venture too far, let's head back to tell him what we found" I turned to Paimon then she nodded before the both of us headed back to our meeting spot.

Though as we were on our way, we ended up stumbling upon a treasure hoarder camp and it was too late to go all the way around since they have spotted us, so we resorted to fight our way out before heading back.

***

We finished them off and headed back to meet up with Heizou, it seems that he had only just arrived as well and he seems to be carrying something.

"Heizou! What did you find??" Paimon waved as we approached him.

He raised the object that he had found. It seemed like a book but it doesn't seem like to be a book that can be found in Inazuma. "This book belonged to y/n.. A memento from when she visited Sumeru.." Heizou seemed a bit sorrowful when he saw the book but that expression quickly changed as he looked back at us. "Have you found anything as well?"

"Well, we found footprints that leads to the foggy area of this island, we didn't wanna venture ahead so we decided to come back to tell you about it" Paimon explained.

"Footprints, you say? Lead the way"

The three of us then started heading out to follow the footprints that Paimon and I had found. Though, I can't shake off the uneasiness that I've been feeling for some time now since we got to this island.

3rd Person POV

As the trio had ventured off to follow the clue that they had found, little did they know that someone has been following them and listening in to their conversation.

-End of Chapter 4-