Chapter 8 Act I

You couldn't find him for the rest of day and the festival was already coming to an end. You stood by the shore outside the city, staring at the darkening sky. You started to wonder if he finally decided to leave you behind. But if that were to be the case, why did he ask you to wait for him? Was it all just a facade?

"I was waiting for him... But he decided to leave without saying anything..." You looked down bitterly at the seascape in front of you as the evening breeze blew towards your way.

You soon decided to walk back home, feeling empty and alone. As you opened the door, everything was dark and the only source of light is the shining moon that illuminated through the open window. You approached the window to close it, and as you do, you took notice of something that was left on top of your nightstand then you went to take a closer look. Upon closer inspection, it seemed like a letter.

"Y/n, I'm really sorry, there has been a change of plans. So by the time you've read this letter, I've already ventured back to Liyue and set off for Inazuma on my own. I figured that it's best if we go on our separate ways. You're finally home and back with the people who love and care for you. Please do not feel guilty nor obligated to come with me just for my sake. It was my intention from the start to make sure that you have returned safely to your real home, and perhaps have you stay there for good. As for your health condition, I had planned to keep investigating regarding the matter by the time I return to Inazuma. I promise, I'll do everything I can to find the cure and have it delivered to you right away. Please do take care, be mindful of your limits, and... I wish for your happiness, —Heizou"

Before you knew it, tears were staining the letter on your hands as you were uncontrollably shaking for a moment. You turned around and immediately rushed out for the door but before you could even take another step forward, your body suddenly started getting the attacks again. You froze then your body begins to dysfunction as you fell bluntly onto the cold wooden floor.

"Ack!!" You couldn't move, and you were painfully sobbing as you could only stare up at the door in front of you.

"..H-Heizou..." You continued sobbing while weakly muttering the detective's name. You wished that he would return to you and take back everything he said in the letter, everything about him leaving you behind. You couldn't bear to accept that you would have to continue living your life without him or his presence anymore. You needed him, but was it ever the same for his case?

Heizou's POV

I soon finally arrived at the docks by sunrise and walked towards the same ship that took both me and y/n here all the way from Inazuma. I happen to spot the captain of the Crux Fleet and went approach and greet her.

"Good morning Captain Beidou"

"Ah, morning there kiddo! ..Hm? Is y/n not with you?" She looked over my shoulder.

"Yep, it's just me this time. Y/n needs to spend more time with her family after getting stranded for a whole year and got separated from them" I tried to smile to hide the heavy feeling inside.

The captain seemed convinced enough and let me through her ship. "Alright! We'll be setting off for Inazuma shortly!" She called out to her crew as she went off somewhere on her ship. I then just stood by the sides and stared at the view of the rising sun, shining the horizon of the sea.

And thus, I traveled back to Inazuma, feeling empty and alone.

***

"Doushin Shikanoin, we have a serious case on our hands so I do hope you take this one very seriously not flake out on me" The voice of Madam Kujou somehow pierced through my train of thoughts and made me shift my focus towards her. She sighed and handed me a case file, I opened it and checked the contents.

"Is this... confirmed..?" I slightly glanced up at her.

"It is. Just this morning, someone reported that they spotted some Kairagi and Fatui soldiers collaborating by the Nazuchi beach. Other than that, there were also reports of passerby's such as merchants and civilians being attacked there. I want you to head over to the Encampment, bring a couple of our soldiers with you and have those Kairagi and Fatui soldiers captured. I've also contacted the Adventurer's Guild for extra hands and support, they'll also be joining you at the camp. Please do not fail me"

"Question, do the Fatui in question possess the same chemicals as the ones we apprehended in previous cases?" I placed my hand over my chin.

"That's what I would like you to investigate on as well. It seems that these cases with the Fatui, they would always carry around these strange chemicals with them. They could perhaps be linked to the case you're trying to investigate regarding y/n's kidnappers"

"I see. Very well, I'll see to it that these criminals won't be left unpunished" I then immediately took my leave from the police station and went off to start making preparations to travel to Kannazuka but before that, I need to head over to the Adventurer's Guild first to have the members informed about the meet-up location. I can't afford to wait for every one of them to show up before heading to the camp so I'll just inform them straight away.

"Alright, I'll inform the members about this announcement" The guild's receptionist nodded her head after filling her in on the information.

"Thank you for your help, Katheryne" I nodded back at her and went to take my leave.

Ever since I got back to Inazuma months ago, I've been working non-stop, looking for any clues and accepting any cases regarding the Fatui. Once I can finally get to the bottom of this case, I'll finally be able to find the cure to y/n's health condition. It's been half a year since I last saw her. I wonder how she is right now? Then again, I won't have to worry so much about her anymore since she's back at her homeland in Mondstadt. It may seem wrong of me to suddenly leave her without a word, but if I try to tell her personally, I know she's going to talk me out of it just so I could take her with me. That girl is incredibly stubborn.

I sighed at the thought as I was walking on the streets of Inazuma, placing both of my hands in my pockets and just daze out. I went to Kiminami Restaurant to buy some food before preparing then as I finally got my food to-go and about to take my leave, I swore I caught a glimpse of a familiar h/c color at the corner of my eye. Though as I tried to turn to its direction, it disappeared among the crowd that were passing by on the streets. I'm either losing my mind or perhaps just missing her too much.

There's no way she would be here after all.

-End of Act I-