Interlude Chapter 2: Test of Courage(Act II)

The 2nd round of the test of courage was about to begin. You and the Traveler decided to partner up instead after hearing from the shrine maiden that you must change partners after every round. It was rather convenient for you too since you won't have to go around to look for another participant as your partner.

"I will now reveal the item you will have to find for the 2nd round of the event" The shrine maiden explained before pausing for a moment.

"It's... a fan "

"A fan? You mean like the thing we use to keep cool when it's hot out?" Paimon asked as she tilted her head.

"Correct" She nodded. "The fan was personally selected by the Yashiro Commissioner himself, and has been placed somewhere in the Chinju Forest. There will be signs to guide the way but beware, the darkness that lurks in the forest is drawing nearer" She warned with an intimidating tone before letting out a laugh.

"Remember, if you can't go on any further, you can always give up and live to see another day~"

You sweatdropped, thinking about how long it took for this shrine maiden to practice for this kind of event.

"W-well... guess we better get started.." Paimon looked at you and the traveler before the both of you nodded in agreement and went to start looking for the fan.

As usual, you went to follow the signs that were displayed on the side of the path while walking with your new partner.

"Now that Paimon thinks about it, never thought you'd be interested in joining in this kind of event, y/n"

"Ah- well-" You sheepishly chuckled at the thought of your reason for joining. "Well... at first I was just curious about it, but then when Heizou mentioned a case that is related to this event, it somehow piqued my interest more. And so I decided to join for fun, and trying to at least find out if there's really any mystery behind it"

"Wow, and you're not even scared?? What if there's really a ghost here?" She looked at you in amazement in the first question which quickly turned into fear upon asking the second.

"We live in a nation where youkai exist. They may be two different entities but they're also beings beyond human comprehension. If their presence isn't all that terrifying then there's no need for me to be afraid of ghosts either"

At first, Paimon seemed like she didn't get it, then it shortly got through to her head. "Ohh! Now Paimon gets it! If we treat ghosts like how we treat youkai then they wouldn't be as scary as they seem! Hehe, Paimon doesn't feel as scared anymore after hearing that"

You and the traveler sweatdropped at the moment, considering you both know the fact that your silver-haired companion doesn't have a consistent way of treating youkai. Take Itto and Yae Miko for example, they're both youkai but Paimon rather treats Itto more familiarly, and she treats Miko with more respect and suspicion at the same time.

"Well... as long as we don't offend the ghosts then I guess there's no harm done..?" The traveler remarked with slight uncertainty.

After a few minutes of walking on the path, the both of you arrived at that erected landform in the middle of the forest with some small tanuki statues and candles displayed on it. You both went around the landform to follow the path that the signs were pointing at and as you were about to pass by, you heard the sound of stone dragging against the ground, which made you pause for a moment.

You then heard Paimon yelp in fear, slightly startling you and turned to face her.

"W-was that statue always facing this way..???" She pointed at the small tanuki statues that were facing both the traveler and her. Now that she mentioned it, you recall that they weren't in that position before.