Interlude Chapter 2: Test of Courage(Act I)

[This event occurs after Chapter 9 Act V, days after y/n and Heizou's reunion]

***

There was word going around in the city that the Yashiro Commission is holding an event called the Test of Courage and the event will be held in Chinju Forest.

You stood right in front of the bulletin board with a hand on your chin as you read about the event. Not long after, you felt a hand on your shoulder which slightly startled you and you turned around to see who it was.

"Hey there~" Turns out it was just your redheaded lover with his usual close-eyed smile. You start to wonder if he's slacking off again from his duties since he seems to have too much free time in his hands.

"Now, before you say anything, I just want to let you know that I am currently doing my job" He suddenly spoke as he raised his index finger from his free hand and opened one eye to look at you.

You just responded with a deadpan look as you sweatdropped. "I didn't even say anything yet-"

"And your expression tells me otherwise" His lips curved into a light smirk then he placed his hands on his hips.

"My intuition tells me that you're planning to join the event, are you not?" He slightly tilted his head to the side while trying to read your reaction. You let out a sigh as you slouched, thinking that there's no way that this guy cannot read you like an open book.

"I might.. Are you planning to join as well? Hold on- don't tell me your job right now is to investigate something about the event?? Or are you using your job as an excuse so you could participate?" You raised your eyebrow as you look at the detective suspiciously.

"Whoa now, easy with the guessing game there" He chuckled as he raised both hands then slowly put them down. "Actually, it's the former. I don't entirely plan on joining the event but I'll be around to look into something"

"Oh? Will the great detective of the Tenryou Commission be requesting my assistance again?" You gave a smug look as you placed your hands on your hips.

"Haha, unfortunately no. Not this time~" He playfully sticks out his tongue as you irk at your misjudgment.

"Aww don't be upset y/n, there's still plenty of cases for the both of us to investigate~"

"Save your flirtatious demeanor when you're done investigating, detective" Another irk appeared on your head as you responded with a deadpan look.

He chuckled at your reaction and patted your head. "Alright, alright, I won't tease you more for now. Anyways, I'll be off to start my investigation. If you notice something unusual going on during the event, just letting you know that I'm just nearby" He winked as he placed a finger over his lips. He then leaned in to steal a kiss from your lips.

"Love you, see you later~" He grinned before he immediately went off, leaving you dumbfounded and slightly flustered.

'That detective honestly...' You pouted as you thought and watched him leave.

***

When you finished registering for the event at the Kamisato estate, you immediately headed for Chinju Forest to meet up with the shrine maiden hosting the event.

"You must be here to participate in the Test of Courage ? Though I must warn you, if you carelessly go running into the event, all it takes is just one little misstep and the darkness will swallow you up" The shrine maiden chuckled sinisterly that it's giving you goosebumps.