Chapter 4 Act III

Traveler's POV

Paimon and I took a boat to Watatsumi Island after we parted ways from Heizou. I can tell from the detective's face that he was getting agitated, and he's struggling to keep it in. Although I do understand how he felt, I'm also worried for y/n. If she somehow ends up somewhere either Kannazuka or Tsurumi, I fear that she might be in grave danger.

Kannazuka, especially in Tatarasuna, there are a lot of Fatui soldiers roaming around. Then in Tsurumi, based on the commissions that Paimon and I had accepted before, aside from the rifthounds and ruin machines occupying the island, the thick fog that was surrounding the island is big enough that she could get lost easily.

Thinking back on it now, when I had encountered with her back at Watatsumi Island earlier, she doesn't seem to be in her usual cheerful self.. Or perhaps she wasn't happy to see me? We used to be so close, did the incident back then really caused a gap between us?

"Hey Traveler?"

I snapped out of my thoughts as I turned to my silver haired companion. "Hm?"

"You okay? You've been staring into the sea for a while now. Did you get seasick?"

I nodded my head to assure her. "Don't worry, I'm alright"

"You sure? You can always tell Paimon"

"I'm just.. Thinking about how to find y/n when we get to Watatsumi Island"

"Oh- I see.. Yknow, Paimon has been wondering... Don't you think y/n has changed a bit since we last saw her? Back then, she used to be so cheery and bubbly, but when we met up with her at Kokomi's Shrine earlier, she seems really down. Paimon feels like something's been weighing down on her mind"

I looked at Paimon for a moment as I listened to her concern then nodded in agreement.

"Hmm.. You know, Paimon thinks that we should try to help her once we find her. What Sango did was just cold and uncalled for!" She stomped the air while whining.

"Let's try not to rub salt onto her wounds, Paimon. She must have her reasons aside from what Sango said"

"Paimon knows but.." She was starting to get agitated. "Paimon feels really bad, also what else could be the reason that she changed and ran away? Paimon can't think of anything else.." Now that I think about it, Paimon wasn't there when the previous incident happened.

Months ago, back when the Vision Hunt Decree was still occurring, y/n was one of the few people who I encountered after my investigation with the people who had their visions confiscated. After I reported back to Ayaka and deciding to join the rebellion, I encountered y/n while taking a few days off around Inazuma city. I helped her out with some of the menial tasks she was assigned to and we both ended up getting along really well.

But I guess some things are bound to change, one way or another.

Just the day before I have to prepare to meet up with Ayaka and Thoma, y/n ended up confessing to me and wished for the both of us to be together no matter what happens. She was well-aware that I joined the rebellion, and yet someone like her still finds the determination to stay with someone like me. As much as I cared for her, I ended up rejecting her as kindly as I could.. Guess she didn't take it very well. y/n is naturally a likeable person, but I just can't afford to return the feelings she had for me. She'll only get hurt if I try to give her a chance, and with me only temporarily staying in Inazuma to be able to meet the Electro Archon, I'll have to end up leaving her behind one day, which is even worse.

"Hello?? Traveler, you're spacing out again!"

"Ah.. Sorry.."

"Seriously, what's gotten into you? Are you hungry or something??"

"No, I'm not.. Also, I'll tell you next time"

"What?! No fair!" She then crossed her arms. "Hmph, fine! Paimon's not gonna share her snacks with you until you tell me!"

I sweatdropped at her whiny attitude then I realized that we're already close to our destination.

We soon finally arrived at Watatsumi Island and we got off the boat. Upon entering the Island, we ended up meeting a familiar figure up ahead who is talking to the stationed soldiers at the entrance.

"Hey, it's General Gorou! Maybe he could help us!" I nodded at Paimon and ran up to the canine General.

"Hm? Oh, Traveler! It's great to see you two again" Gorou seemed to be enthusiastic upon seeing us, judging from his fluffy ears that were twitching and his tail wagging. It's kind of adorable. The two soldiers who were with him stood attention with a salute.

"Captain of Swordfish II, we're delighted to see you upon your return"

"Glad to see you guys too! Ah- oh right, so anyway... We actually came here because we would like to ask for your help on something" I let Paimon explain things to them.

"Oh? What is it? Did something happen??" Gorou starts to become a bit alert.

"A friend of ours actually ran away and went missing... We thought that you guys might've seen her passed by or something"

"A friend of yours? Could you try to describe this person, Paimon?"

"Ah, give Paimon a minute.." She placed her tiny hand on her chin. "She has h/c hair and e/c eyes... Oh! And she's also a detective from Narukami Island" She then turned towards me. "Paimon didn't forget anything else, right?"

I sweatdropped and turned to Gorou. "Her name is y/n"

"Oh! I remember her, she actually came here a couple of days ago to work on a case. So she went missing, huh... Unfortunately, I've been on duty with these two here all day and there were no signs of her coming here.. But we could try to dispatch a search party to investigate the whole island" He placed his hand on his chin while thinking. I then immediately shook my hands in refusal, as much as I would appreciate a search party to make things easier, it would be embarrassing if it turned out that she's not around here. Can't afford to waste everyone's time and effort.

"W-we appreciate it Gorou, but the Traveler and Paimon can go and look for ourselves, but if you or any of the soldiers do see her around, then perhaps you can contact us immediately"

"Oh, alright then. I'll inform the other soldiers right away, I wish you both luck on finding her" Gorou saluted and went off.

Paimon and I then sighed in relief as we both ventured further into the island, beginning our search for y/n.

"Why don't we try to go up the cliffs? That way, we might be able to find her from above" She suggested then I nodded in agreement before we both went up to the higher landforms of the island.

***

It's already getting dark and there was still no sign of y/n anywhere. Both of us were searching from the top and slowly climbing down from the sides for hours. My floating companion beside me started whining.

"Traveleeer... Can we rest for a bit? Paimon can't go on any furtherrr.."

"I should be more tired than you, Paimon. You're hardly using your feet"

"W-What does that even mean?! Flying is also tiring, just so you know! Paimon has been flying endlessly for hours, so you should at least try to feel a bit of sympathy for Paimon!" She stomped the air angrily as I sweatdropped. Then again, she's right, it's already nighttime and I doubt we would be able to get anywhere without resting.

"Alright, let's camp out here for the night.."

-End of Act III-