ELEVEN - THE PLAYER

After reassuring Shimizu that playing for just a little bit with the knee brace on wouldn't do any damage, Amaku stretched herself out, more than ready.

   "You were a middle blocker?" Tsukishima asked her, adjusting his glasses from the other side of the net.

   "Mhm." She tightened her shoe laces.

   "That's surprising." He smirked. "With your height and all."

   "If this is you trying to get in my head, Blondie, then you're going to have to try harder than that." Amaku stood toe to toe with him.

   His mouth opened slightly, about to respond when he was interrupted.

   "Hey, stop flirting with each other and get to your teams!" Ukai called out, flustering both of them with his words. Neither of them daring to show it, though.

   The game started with Daichi's serve, which was perfectly received by one of the neighborhood association guys on her team. Like she anticipated, no one was looking at her. Quickly, she got into position for a spike, eyes glued to the other side of the net. Finding an opening, she called for the ball.

   "Suga!" He set the ball to her, Amaku practically flying into the air. God, she missed this.

   Tskuishima was able to get to the other side of the court, ready to block her. If she went for a line shot, it would've went straight for Kageyama, which would've been an easy receive. Last second, she changed the entire direction of her torso, spiking the ball down with her left hand instead. She had hit the ball so hard it bounced into the balcony of the gym.

   She hit the ground gently, making sure to bend her knees to lessen the impact. The entire gym was silent. Amaku looked up at Tsukishima through the net, a mocking grin on her face. He stared back, his eyes wide.

   "Nice kill, Amaku!" Nishinoya practically jumped onto her shoulders.

"Nice set, Suga." She said.

   The game went on, Sugawara doing really well as their setter, earning many praises from the neighborhood team and Karasuno alike. She caught Asahi spacing out a few times, a far away look in his eyes.

   She was back in the front now, Asahi beside her. Noticing him spacing out once more, she nudge his shoulder.

   "Next ones coming to you." She nodded.

   It was their serve, Daichi received it and Amaku could see the Hinata-Kageyama quick attack coming. Making sure it didn't look like she was tracking Hinata, she watched as the ball left Kageyama's fingers, bolting for the block.

   She was fast, even in a knee brace. It was just her on the block, no one else being able to read the boys as fast. She positioned her hands downward slightly so the ball would slam back down, grinning as she watched the ball hit the ground.

   Kageyama stared at her, as of trying to figure out how the hell she did that.

   From the corner of her eye, she spotted Ukai with a similar expression, but directed at the two boys. His reaction wasn't surprising. Their combo was almost inhuman. It took Amaku, someone who swore she'd never involve herself in volleyball again, to find it in herself to join the team. She could easily see it convince Ukai to become their coach.

   They lost the next point due to a block by Tsukishima, who made sure to lock eyes with Amaku. It was Hinata's serve, and she was readying herself.

   "I was wrong." Asahi said suddenly, Nishinoya turning to face him. "I know I got stopped by the wall, but I want to keep trying to break through it."