TWENTY - SEIJOH

Surprisingly, the morning wasn't as unorganized as Amaku anticipated

   Surprisingly, the morning wasn't as unorganized as Amaku anticipated. The game wasn't until the afternoon, so they were able to sleep in anyway. She knew the boys took volleyball extremely seriously, especially this game, but everyone had cut the goofing off to a minimum, at least until they got to Sendai.

   Even then, the boys were locked into focus. Kageyama especially, who had been quieter than usual, was on fire during warm ups. She could feel Oikawa's eyes on her the entire time, getting so tense she accidentally sent too harsh of a spike for Hinata to receive, nailing him in the face.

   Shortly after, the whistle blew. Karasuno huddled around her and Ukai, who nodded to her. Amaku took a deep breathe. She gave her pre game speech, relaid all the information she could before captions were called. The boys lined up, ruffling Amaku's hair and jogging to their positions.

   The first few points in the first set had Amaku almost throwing her clipboard. Oikawa needed to get the first point, and she knew he was going to attempted a setter dump before he did, feeling stupid for not mentioning it to her team. But, when Kageyama took the point back by doing the same play, she nearly screamed.

   As the game went on, the boys realized Amaku had been absolutely right about Sejoh. She explicitly told Nishinoya that Oikawa was going to come to him first, to prove that their best receiver wouldn't be able to touch his serve.

   Kageyama was cracking. It was obvious halfway through the first set. He wasn't trying to beat Aoba Johsai, he was trying to beat Oikawa. Amaku had made the call, subbing Suga in for Kageyama.

   For a moment, something flashed in his face, a look Amaku knew well. He was enraged. Not at Suga or Oikawa, but at himself. As he stepped off the court, she handed him his water bottle. He took it, but he just stared at it in his hands.

   "Drink." She said. "You'll be back on the court soon, stay warm." Ukai called him over after she spoke, and Amaku turned back to the game.

   She watched Suga smack his teammates one by one, Tanaka in the back of the head, Asahi on his side, Daichi in the stomach, and Tsukishima over the head before ending with a double high five for Nishinoya. He had told Amaku it was his way of "knocking the negativity out".

   She just found it amusing to see Tsukishima get hit so hard his glasses almost flew off his face.

   Regardless, putting Suga in was the right call. While Kageyama was freakishly skilled, he lacked the trust and understanding from his teammates. It was hard for him to be a team player. On the other hand, what Suga couldn't match with skill, he made up for with his teamwork and determination. He was vice-caption for a reason.

   Sugawara had learned a lot from sitting on the bench next to Amaku. He was able to predict many of the plays before they happened, shooting her a thumbs up whenever one of their ideas worked.