CHAPTER 30 - BOKUTO

Amaku walked in last out of the team, looking around the gym in search for two particular Fukurodani boys

Amaku walked in last out of the team, looking around the gym in search for two particular Fukurodani boys. The gym was huge, full of teams and managers running around or already in a match. Before she could utter a word to thank the Nekoma caption for inviting Karasuno, she was lifted off her feet into a hug and spun around.

All of the Karasuno boys were caught off guard, wondering if they should step in or if she was okay. No one on the team had seen anyone touch her like that before. "Okay, enough." Amaku instructed, but her smile was evident. "You smell like shit."

"I DO NOT!" Bokuto defended while Kuroo cackled in laughter.

Tsukishima cleared his throat from behind them, reminding Amaku that they had no idea who this was. "Oh, guys, this is Kotaro Bokuto of Fukurodani."

"You'll be playing them next." Kuroo instructed. "Come on over here and get warmed up."

"You go catch up, we'll be okay for a few minutes." Daichi smiled warmly at Amaku. She thanked her caption, walking to the other side of the gym with Bo talking adamantly in her ear.

"Akaashi!" Amaku waved, spotting the setter stretching out. He smiled politely when he saw her walking with Bokuto, asking her about her trip here.

"It's been a long time." Akaashi said. "Bokuto, will you let go of her?"

The ace was hugging her shoulders, refusing to let go. Bo was always touchy, but Amaku allowed it since she hadn't seen him in months. "I'm giving him five minutes before I'll push him off."

"I JUST MISSED YOU SO MUCH!" He cried.

"He's been telling anyone that could listen that you were coming." Akaashi said. Amaku's heart tugged at that, but she rolled her eyes jokingly instead.

"I guess I need to come to Tokyo a little more." She shrugged. "I should get back to my team so the second years stop glaring at you two."

Bo waved at Karasuno's team, Yamaguchi happily returning it. "Good luck." She said before walking back to her team.

Amaku didn't like to admit it, but they were seriously lacking against any of the teams without Hinata and Kageyama there. They didn't win a set until they arrived, and even then Amaku knew they were going to have to keep improving their quick attack if they wanted to go to nationals.

When she wasn't making fun of Tsukishima having to do flying laps, she used the time in-between games to check out the other players. Nekoma had brought on a new first year, who was the tallest person she'd ever seen in real life. She learned he was half Russian, and his name was Lev Haiba.

   She caught him staring at her more times than she could chalk up to a coincidence, but she ignored it. She decided he was only looking at her because she was also not fully Japanese, which was obvious by her features.

Along with the Fukurodani manager, Amaku volunteered as a nurse for the boys, wrapping countless fingers and handing out ridiculous amounts of ice packs. To her dismay, it also meant she caught a lot of the players attention, even if she was quiet.

The last game had just finished, and Amaku was unwrapping Kuroo's ring and middle finger. He had jammed it earlier, and she wanted to make sure the swelling had gone down.

"So, how are you liking the camp?" Kuroo asked as she peeled back the tape.

"The boys are getting a lot of use out of it-"

"That's not what I meant." He cut Amaku off. "How are you liking it?"

"Um, it's fine I guess." She didn't know how to respond to that question.

"Bokuto was telling us all about you earlier." He said. "He mentioned you were at a similar style training camp the day before you got hurt. I just wanted to make sure you weren't facing any bad memories or anything."

"I'm okay." Amaku was taken aback by the captions thoughtfulness. "I mean, I miss it, of course. I'd do anything to play again, but, in a weird way, I'm a little relieved."

She inspected his fingers, seeing no inflammation. "I get it. It must've been a lot, especially at your level."

Amaku swallowed, nodding. "Yeah. You're all good to go, by the way."

✧☆✧

Walking around the camp at nighttime was more peaceful than she expected. The night sky was blank in comparison to Miyagi, the light pollution from the city bleeding through heavily. Still, Amaku found herself staring up, until a voice pulled her out of her trance.

"You have absolutely no survival instincts." Tsukishima said from behind her.

"No, you're just not a threat to me." Amaku turned. "I could whip your ass if needed."

   There was a moment of silence, the boy noticing what she was staring at to begin with.

"Crazy how Jupiter's so big we can see it from here." Tsukishima followed her gaze into the sky.

"Mars is right there, too." She said.

Tsukishima stepped so he was next to her, trying to see where she was pointing. "Where?"

She turned her head, so close she almost collided with his shoulder. Gently, she took his hand, directing it to the planet. Tsukishima almost forgot what he was doing, not taking his eyes off of her until she looked back at him.

The summer night was cool, so Amaku was bundled in a crewneck he'd recognized as the one she wore on the bus ride. Her hair was down, waving and curling softly away from her face. From here, he noticed the freckles on the high points of her cheek, and how her eyes looked softer when she was looking up at him.

Tsukishima turned to were she was pointing his hand, the small dot in the sky meaningless compared to the beauty of the girl beside him.

"What happened?" Amaku was staring at the bandages shittily wrapped around his fingers.

"I just jammed my finger on a block, it's not a big deal-"

"Why didn't you see me?" Amaku interrupted, holding up his hand by his wrist. "I know Shirofuku wouldn't do this."

"I didn't want to wait for all your fanboys." Tsukishima rolled his eyes.

"Well, you wrapped them too tight." She unraveled the tape. "The circulation's cut off, it's not going to heal like that."

"I don't usually wrap mine." Amaku's sudden concern over him made him feel like his head was spinning.

"You should." She said, rewrapping the tape. "Gives your finger's better support, it'll prevent this from happening."

"How am I supposed to know if I did it correctly?" Tsukishima inspected his fingers.

"Just have me do it, you're terrible at this."

"Whatever."