TWENTY FOUR - GRINCH

"If you take my orange one more time, I swear I'm going to shove this chopstick down your throat

   "If you take my orange one more time, I swear I'm going to shove this chopstick down your throat." Amaku growled, pinning Tsukishima's hand down with her forearm and grabbing the fruit back.

   "Okay, woah." He rolled his eyes.

   Amaku peeled her orange happily, only halfway through eating it when she spotted her cousin peaking her head through the doorframe. Noticing her immediately, she stood, placing a quarter of the orange on Yamaguchi and Tsukishima's desks before walking out.

   "How are you feeling?" Shiminzu asked, clutching a few papers to her chest.

   "I'm okay." Amaku sighed. "Doctor's said it would set me back a few months, but as long as I keep it wrapped I should be back where I was in a few months. I won't be able to do any exercise for four weeks, though."

   "I'm so sorry." Shiminzu wrapped her arms around the girl, who stiffened at the contact.

   "I'm not dying, I'll be fine." She shrugged. "Did you need something?"

   "I was wondering if you knew any first years who haven't joined a club?" She handed her a form. "You do a great job coaching the boys, but I'm leaving soon. I was hoping we could find someone to fill the manager spot so you could keep focusing on coaching."

   Amaku thought to herself for a moment before nodding, taking the form and heading to class 1-4.

✧☆✧

   The training camp was next month, but Amaku had changed the boy's practice slightly, so they could focus on their endurance. They paired off for an uphill run before heading back to focus on serves, then receives, then break off into groups where they focused on more targeted drills.

   Practice was almost over, and Takeda was giving them a rundown on what to expect with the training camp. Everything was going well until finals were brought up.

   "Exams are also next month, you do know that, don't you?" Takeda's gaze was focused on Nishinoya, Tanaka, Hinata and Kageyama, who notoriously got bad grades. "So, if you fall even one subject, you won't be able to come."

   The four erupted into panic, the second years trying to sprint away while Hinata started screaming.

   "Okay, so what's failing?! What's the worst that I can do?!" He yelled.

   "Are you serious?!" Suga exclaimed.

   Amaku turned back to Kageyama, who wasn't moving and was staring at the floor, his face completely pale. "Guys, I think Kageyama's dead!" Yamaguchi said.

   Hinata jumped over to Takeda. "Wait, maybe if we ask the vice principal nicely, maybe we still have a chance to-"

   "Why don't you just put all that energy into actually passing your classes." Tsukishima said, his hands in his pockets.

   "Don't be so optimistic, Tsukishima." Amaku snickered.

   Hinita ran around the room, asking Ukai, and then Amaku if she could help tutor him. He fell to his knees, begging. "Please, Amaku, I need your help."

   "Jesus, Hinata." Amaku grimaced. "How bad are you doing?"

   "On a 100 point scale I don't even score in the double digits. How am I ever going to pass?" He said desperately.

    Amaku's mouth parted in shock, looking at Tsukishima out of the corner of her eye. "That's almost impressive."

   From the other side of the gym, Nishinoya and Tanaka had started praying, and Kageyama was in the same state as before. Suga had instructed the boys to not ask Amaku for help, since she had her own finals to worry about.

   As some of the boys were leaving, Amaku called over Tanaka, Kageyama, Hinata and Nishinoya. "Listen, you four. The reason you all have shitty grades isn't only because you're stupid, but because you all fall asleep in class. If you all got a decent 8 hours of sleep, you wouldn't. If I find out any of you are sleeping in class, I'm benching you all."

   She turned her heel and walked out the clubroom, ignoring their shouts of protest. Wobbling down the steps, she searched for Yamaguchi and Tsukishima, who she saw leave a few minutes ago.

   "You sound like their mother." A voice said from behind her, turning around to see the two people she was looking for leaning against the wall.

   Amaku just rolled her eyes in response. "They're going to end up asking us for help."

   "Oh, that wouldn't be so bad." Yamaguchi shrugged. "They're funny."

   "Yeah, but it'll be even more entertaining to see them begging for our help." Tsukishima said while Amaku smirked.

   "You two think too alike, it's scary." Yamaguchi shuddered.

   "No we don't." They replied at the same time before glaring at each other. Yamaguchi just laughed at the two, genuinely curious how long it would be before one of them confessed.

   "I have my own grades to worry about, I don't need any more distractions." Tsukishima said. "But I'm sure Amaku will cave."

   "You're like a real life grinch." She mumbled.

   "I didn't really expect Kageyama to get bad grades, too." Yamaguchi changed the subject before Tsukishima could respond. "Hinata doesn't really surprise me, though."

   "Yeah, his brain is just like a volleyball; nothing but empty space inside." Tsukishima agreed, and Amaku let out a laugh. It was a laugh he hadn't heart from her before, pure sounding. He tried his best not to stare at her.

   "TSUKISHIMA, AMAKU!" Hinata yelled, the group turning to see him walking with Kageyama as well as his bike. "Sorry. Can you help us study? Please?"

   "Us? No thank you." He said bluntly.

   "Just a few minutes a day! Or at least give me a few pointers here and there!" Hinata begged, looking at Amaku with the biggest puppy dog eyes he could muster.

   "Fine. Okay, whatever." She sighed. "I'm sure we can find some time before or after practice or my house on the weekends. My mom's been dying to meet you guys anyway."

   "Don't you think it's kind of unfair to make the little guy do all the work, Kageyama?" Tsukishima smirked, putting his hands in his pockets. "I want to hear it from you."

   Kageyama made a face that looked like it physically pained him to speak. Hinata nudged him, pestering him to just ask the blonde. "Please.. help us."

   "What was that?" Tsukishima mocked.

   "Could you please help us study?" Kageyama said through gritted teeth.

   "Sorry, could you please speak up?"

   "Tsukishima, lay off." Amaku rolled her eyes. "Kags might explode."

   "Hm, whatever." He crossed his arms. "You're lucky Amaku has no backbone."

   "I will kick your ass, four-eyes."

   "Not with those tiny legs of yours, you won't."

   "Uh, when are we going to meet?" Hinata tried to ask, but it was unheard by the two bickering.

   "I think tomorrow in the clubroom should work." Yamaguchi looked between his two friends, unsure what to do.

   "They're a really strange couple." Hinata said.