TWENTY NINE - WELCOME TO TOKYO

Amaku wasn't sure what happened

Amaku wasn't sure what happened. Hitoka had told her she was having Kageyama and Hinata over for a study session, and a few hours later was calling to help her tell Daichi that she would officially join their team as manager after finals.

When that practice came, Amaku hugged her friend, now repping the Karasuno manager jacket. It took Hitoka by surprise, she wasn't a very affectionate girl, and it almost made her burst into tears.

Her happiness was short lived when she found out Kageyama and Hinata had both failed their final exams. Hinata had gotten all the questions right, just filled them in wrong, meanwhile Kageyama barely failed.

Amaku and Hitoka had a minor freak out, since they had been spending almost every weekend together at this point.

Luckily, they would be able to retake the exam and get a ride from Tanaka's older sister. So, the boys were still able to make it to the training camp.

That night, Amaku had Hitoka over for a sleepover, since it would be easier to head to the bus together. "I can't believe the team thought you and Tsukishima were together." She said, sitting down a cup of tea on Amaku's nightstand.

The girl paused for a second, Tsukishima's words passing through her mind. "Ridiculous". She finished brushing her hair, turning to the girl who was now sitting with her legs folded under each other on her bed. "Yeah."

Realization hit the blonde, almost squealing. "You like him."

Amaku's cheeks reddened. "I don't know, 'Toka." She sighed.

"Why not?" She straightened her back.

"It's just weird." Amaku shrugged, unfamiliar with her own emotions. "I don't think I've ever liked someone in that way, how am I supposed to know that's what it is?"

"It doesn't have to be some crazy, deep feeling." Hitoka said. "Liking someone can be as simple as how you feel around them, or just wanting to be around them."

Amaku thought for a moment, the image of Tsukishima holding Nero flashing through her mind. The pure expression on his face, his glasses sliding down his nose just for him to adjust them with his ring finger. How gentle he held the feline, a nature she didn't realize he possessed.

"I don't think it matters." Amaku swallowed. "He doesn't see me like that."

"Do you know that for sure?" Hitoka asked, trying to play off how excited she was that her best friend finally had a crush, even if it was a rather bitter boy.

"He said being with me would be ridiculous a week ago." Amaku's disappointment leaked through her words.

"He was caught off guard, you didn't particularly seem happy at the idea, either." Hitoka pointed out.

A moment passed before Amaku chucked a pillow at her friend. "When did you get so wise?"

Hitoka giggled, throwing the pillow back at her friend. They spent the next few hours talking, staying up a little too late for the early morning they had the next day. Amaku laid awake longer than her friend beside her, thinking about their earlier conversations. Eventually, she gave into sleep.

Amaku felt like she was still dreaming until she wished her mother goodbye, stepping out of the car with Hitoka (who was much more awake). They found Suga, Asahi and Daichi right away, standing by the bus at the front gate.

Hitoka wished them all good morning as they helped load their bags, Amaku barely being able to mumble a good morning before boarding the bus. Hitoka saw Kiyoko already seated, heading over to her to ask her a quick question about the camp.

In the next few minutes, Amaku fell asleep, her knees tucked and head against the window. The rest of the boys, in a much more energetic state, took their seats as they arrived. When Coach Ukai headed onto the bus last, he did a quick head count before yelling at everyone to sit down.

His voice jerked Amaku awake, only to see Tsukishima by her side. A few seats in front she could see Hitoka sitting with Shiminzu, so she shrugged, trying to go back to sleep.

The ride was bumpy, however, and Nishinoya and Tanaka would not stop singing. Now exhausted, agitated and uncomfortable, Amaku searched her back pack for her headphones, only to realize she left them in her other bag.

"Can you stop searching for god knows what so loudly?" Tsukishima grumbled. "Some of us are trying to sleep."

"How can you with dingus 1 and 2 back there." Amaku leaned back in defeat. Tsukishima looked at her, sighing before putting his headphones on top of her ears. To her surprise, his playlist had many of the same songs as hers, and she found her eyes fluttering shut in minutes.

The ride to Tokyo was a long one, about five hours to be exact. Somewhere in the first hour, Tsukishima let his head rest against the bus seat, drifting off along with the rest of the team. Unknown to both of them, Amaku had leaned her head against his shoulder at some point, and Tsukishima's head rested on top of hers, the scent of vanilla shampoo soothing him into a deeper sleep.

Somehow, they stayed like that for most of the ride. Tsukishima woke up first, an unfamiliar weight at his side. Amaku's cheek was squished against his shoulder, and her hair was messy under his headphones. Slyly, the blonde took a quick photo of it, for blackmail purposes of course.

The second Nishinoya and Tanaka got off the bus, they were pointing at every radio tower, claiming it was the Tokyo sky tree. The two were pushing a yawning Tsukishima and an even sleepier Amaku, Yamaguchi trailing not far behind them.

"Hey, you!" Kuroo called out, a few of Nekoma's team meeting them outside. Amaku smiled back, rather docile from her nap. "Hey cap."

The group walked together, Daichi filling in Kuroo on why Kageyama and Hinata weren't there yet. As he was speaking, another voice interrupted them.

"There's three of them? Ones the sexy kind, ones the mean kind, and ones the cute kind!" Yamamoto, Amaku recognized as Nekoma's ace, exclaimed. "I'm not worthy of such a blessing!" Unintentionally, the girl found herself looking for Tsukishima, who was already looking at her with an amused expression.

Immediately more awake, Amaku stepped in front of the two girls. Before she spoke, Tanaka approached the boy who was now on his knees. "Take a good look, tiger head. Behold the glory of going to Karasuno high!"

"You're both morons." Amaku said dully, leading the girls away.