TWENTY ONE - MOTHER

Amaku's mother, born Kato Rei, was raised traditionally. Amaku didn't know the whole story, and a part of her didn't want to know. What she did know, was that Rei fell in love with her father, Kiyoko Riku, when she was sixteen years old.

The Kato family came from incredible wealth, and Rei was their only child. While they cared for her, both of her parents didn't show it in affection or love. They showed it in expenses and extravagant vacations.

When Rei fell in love with Riku, she knew her parents would never allow the match. So, they dated in secret. Until, at seventeen, Rei became pregnant.

She was thrown out of her house, and while the Kiyoko family took her in, Rei cut all contact she could with her parents. Her mother died soon after Amaku was born, and her grandfather refused to meet his granddaughter.

Although the Kiyoko family was not rich, they were kind and caring people, and together they started their small family.

When Amaku walked into her home after loosing to Seijoh, she knew her grandfather died. Her mother didn't say it, but a few of her childhood belongings were sitting on the kitchen table, and she knew her mother would never go back to that house unless he was dead.

Amaku's mother hugged her as soon as she had put her backpack down. Confused, she returned the hug. "What's wrong?"

Her mother smiled at her, a real, genuine smile her mother wore so well. Her dimples stretched as she kissed the crown of her daughter's head.

"Nothing," She whispered. "I just missed my little girl."

Amaku noticed she was wearing a necklace with a small circle on it. Two 'R's were carved into the silver pendant.

"Did you like the game?" Amaku asked, sitting down at the kitchen counter. The conversation felt foreign to her. While she understood why her mother had to work so much, it also meant they didn't have the closest relationship. Her mother had gone to at most a handful of games or practices when she was playing.

"It was incredible!" Her mother gushed. "I didn't have a clue what was going on, though. It was a good thing those two men were able to explain things to me."

Amaku snickered, the imagine of her mother, cluelessly cheering making her smile.

"Don't you laugh at me." Her mother pointed a spoon at her, before taking a few items from the fridge.

"Here, let me help-" Amaku went to stand, but her mother interrupted.

"No, I'm sure you're exhausted. Let me cook for you, I haven't in forever." She said.

"Mom, why are you doing all this?" Amaku asked after a few minutes of silence.

"Well, your grandfather passed this morning." She began, sadly.

"Good riddance." Amaku mumbled. It was hard for her to think fondly of somehow who had deliberately made her mother's life so difficult, even if it was her grandfather.

"Hey, be respectful." Her mother scolded lightly.

"Sorry."

"Anyway, I've decided to leave my job at the restaurant and work full time at the bank. I'm sure you know your grandfather was rich, and we inherited a bit of money from him." She explained.

"You should go back to school." Amaku pushed. "You always wanted to be a teacher. And you can do it from home now-"

"I don't know, honey." Her mother trailed off.

"Do you remember that program I was talking about a few years ago?" Amaku ignored her protests. "You can take classes from the computer, and with just one job now you'd definitely have the time for it!"

"I wanted to use that time to be with you." Her mother said, pausing the vegetables she was cutting to look at her daughter. "I know I haven't been a part of your life much, if not at all. I don't know your friends, I barely know what you like or don't like. I have a lot of regrets with how I raised you and I want to make things right."

"Mom, you know I never blamed you. It wasn't your fault." Amaku said.

"I know." Her mother sighed. "But I've missed you so much."

Amaku felt a lump in her throat as she tried to swallow her tears. "Stop with all this sappiness you know I can't take it."

Her mother laughed. "I just love you." She ruffled her hair across the kitchen counter. "Isn't that what all the boys do to you before a game? I thought that was cute."

"It's annoying." Amaku complained.

"Oh, come on. If you didn't like it even a little bit you'd break their hands." Her mother rolled her eyes.

"They're nice people." Amaku shrugged, but there was a smile tugging at her lips at the topic of her team.

"So, who's that number 11." Her mother smirked. "He's pretty cute."

"A little young for you, mom." Amaku played off the redness spreading on her cheeks.

"You know exactly what I mean." Her mother put a small bowl of carrots in front of her.

"He's annoying." Amaku bit onto one.

"Okay, sure." Her mother never lost the smirk on her lips.

"I don't like him." She crossed her arms.

"You're not convincing me." Her mother laughed.

"Whatever." Amaku stood up. "I'm going to shower."

"It's a good thing he's tall! We lack height in this family!" Her mother called out as she left the room.

"Ew, Mom!" She covered her face in embarrassment, hearing her mother's laugh bouncing through the house.

Suddenly, the house felt much warmer.