Chapter 3

Chibiusa and Shingo could hardly believe their luck when Usagi came home last night. She brought new blankets and even warm food. This morning, they enjoyed the leftovers from the night before, and Usagi headed back to the street. There wasn't much money left from the man who had given her some, but at least she had spent it wisely. Once again, she took her place, knelt behind her cup, and waited for someone to spare something for her. But today was different from the others; she felt relieved of a heavy burden. Chibiusa had a new sweater, and the blankets were a major concern that no longer bothered her.

It was still early, and Tokyo's streets were gradually filling up with people on their way to work. Usagi remained patient, with her head lowered, as she always did, then suddenly someone stood directly in front of her. She recognized those shoes. They had etched into her memory. Usagi timidly lifted her gaze and looked into the face she had expected. She swallowed hard and didn't know what to say.

He casually pushed his sunglasses down a bit and gave her a teasing smile. "Well, sweetheart, spent it all already?" he asked playfully, and Usagi froze. She dared not answer him and just nodded silently, lowering her gaze again. She had a little bit of leftover money; it would be enough for some bread, which could feed her siblings for a few more days. But she felt embarrassed, especially now running into him again.

"Well, come on. Let's go get some coffee," he suddenly said, extending his hand to Usagi. She hesitated before taking it. He helped her up, and when she stood in front of him, their eyes met, and he grinned even wider. "By the way, I'm Seiya."

Usagi gasped. Was this really happening right now? "Usagi," she mumbled shyly. He really wanted to have coffee with her. With her? Looking the way she did?

"Usagi, a beautiful name, but I prefer calling you sweetheart. So, where do you want to go? Any preferences?"

"Um..." Usagi began, glancing down at herself. "Are you sure you really want to go somewhere with me? I mean, just look at me." She knew exactly how others looked at her. Even at the bakery, she had to place her money on the counter before placing an order.

"Okay, so you want to go shopping first. Fine by me. Let's dress you up first."

Usagi's features slipped away. "No... no... that's not what I meant," she stammered, realizing in the same moment that tears welled up in her eyes. Why was this man so kind to her? He didn't even know her.

Seeing Usagi's tears, Seiya's smile faded. He gently pulled her closer and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Hey, it's all right," he said softly and comfortingly. "I just want to spend some time with you to get to know you better. I don't care how you look or what you're wearing."

Usagi quickly wiped away her tears and smiled shyly.

"Then come on. Let's have some coffee," he tried again, leading her to a nearby café. As they settled at a table, and the waitress approached, Seiya ordered two coffees and then turned his attention back to Usagi. "Tell me a bit about yourself, sweetheart. I want to know more about you."

Usagi hesitated for a moment. She had never talked to a complete stranger about her story. Of course, she occasionally shared bits of it with other street kids when they sat around the fire in the evenings, but most of it remained her secret. In her life, there were only Shingo and Chibiusa, but for some reason, she felt she could trust this man. So, she began cautiously sharing details about herself and her circumstances. She carefully observed Seiya's expressions, but they remained calm and understanding. He just listened attentively, and Usagi gradually poured her heart out. She told him how her father left the family, how her mother fell ill shortly afterward, how she had taken care of her until the end, and how she subsequently fled to the streets with her siblings. She spoke of their daily struggle against hunger and cold, and finally, she ended by telling him what she had already spent his money on.